Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for recommendation for a good soldering iron

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice/reviews of soldering irons. The cheap soldering station I have just packed up (should get my money back due to the warranty so no issues there).

I guess i'm looking around the £30 mark (which may mean anything I get will be naff?)

My usage needs are probably about once a week to do some basic soldering on perfboards and also desoldering of old boards i've salvaged from scrap electronics. I'm also impatient so anything that gets things hot quicker is good by me.

Thanks,

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice/reviews of soldering irons. The cheap soldering station I have just packed up (should get my money back due to the warranty so no issues there).

I guess i'm looking around the £30 mark (which may mean anything I get will be naff?)

My usage needs are probably about once a week to do some basic soldering on perfboards and also desoldering of old boards i've salvaged from scrap electronics. I'm also impatient so anything that gets things hot quicker is good by me.

Thanks,

I have owned the 30 watt and 60 watt soldering iron from this company for over 50 years. Only replaced the tips once.

Ratch

https://www.americanbeautytools.com/

I have been very satisfied with my Hakko FX888D - not sure of price in your market, but it is a very capable and efficient solder station.

I've had an ungar iron for 30 years, still in excellent shape.
Not sure if one brand is much better than the rest. I think the most important thing is keeping the tip clean.