Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Light dimmer Capacitor help??

Hi everyone , nice to be here !! My first post - be gentle please!! :)

I have recently been given a stainless uplighter , that has 2 lights the uplighter has a long J118 bulb fitting rated up to 300 watts, and has a dimmer control .
There is also a reading lamp stalk ,bendable with a GU10 50 watt Halogen fitted (its dead)
So ,just assuming its the bulbs , I took the long bulb out to find someone has put a 500 watt J118 in it :eek:
It was still good . (I have since bought a 10 watt LED J118 type too replace it )
So rooting inside I find the switches . Taking the dimmer cover of and using my volt probe , I detect voltage coming into the dimmer ,inside it , but none coming out . The guy who sells new dimmers of this make ,bless , £20 each , was helpful enough to tell me that there is a safety feature in there .

Now I realise the yellow capacitor at the top is a thermal overload/tolerance item , so I was hoping I could find a cheapish one at Rs , or likewise , to replace it with ?
Of course ,it may be something else , but I all seems to point that way ??
What do you experts think ,If I may ask?
The fuse at top right is good by the way !

I also had considered just replacing it with a straight on /off ,as I doubt I will need to dim it ?

Sorry , should have said that I cant seem to find one similar on the net . The Chinese way of writing the legend confuses me !
CYT .1K 275V
MPX-X2 GPF
250V Is the .1 K relating to the thermal capacity ? There does not seem to be a uf rating either ,not that I understand a lot about that

It looks like a typical Triac dimmer, if so that is just a 240vac .1uf cap used for the phase angle timing circuit in the gate of the triac.
If dead, it is most likely the Triac.
M.

It looks like a typical Triac dimmer, if so that is just a 240vac .1uf cap used for the phase angle timing circuit in the gate of the triac.
If dead, it is most likely the Triac.
M.
Thanks Minder . So not likely to be that cap thats the issue , you say ,but the dimmer itself will be u/s?

If not the fuse then I would opt for the Triac will be toast.
You can easily test it by meter if you remove it.
M.