Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED project for a crown

I'm a senior in high school and I wanted to add LEDs on the crown I've made for homecoming week, I wanted to use multicolor blinking LEDs since it would be the most amazing look.

Here are the specs on the LED I picked out, I plan on using 6 in a continues series.

Emitted color: red, green, blue, red green, green blue, red blue, red green blue
Intensity MCD (typical): 250mcd (red), 580mcd (green) and 280mcd (blue)
Wave-length nm (typical): 660nm (red), 525nm (green) and 470nm (blue)
Lens color: clear
Viewing angle (degree): 20°
FW supply (V)(typical): 3.2V
Peak current (1/24 duty cycle, typical) 35mA
Capable of single or mixed color lighting and blinking
Auto-start one-shot slow light up and fade, then blink
On/Off key color change control: R,G,B,RG,GB,RB,RGB
RoSH compliant

The question is, how do I make them blink in different colors (complete setup since I have no idea what I'm doing, all I know how to do is solder) and about how much battery power would I need for at least 10 hours.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
How much time do you have?

The simplest approach might be to use a 555 and a 4017 to power a sequence of 10 LEDs.

Google "555 4017 LED" and you'll get a heap of things to look at.

How much time do you have?

The simplest approach might be to use a 555 and a 4017 to power a sequence of 10 LEDs.

Google "555 4017 LED" and you'll get a heap of things to look at.

I have until Monday of next week, I did more research about the LED, it's very useless for what it advertises, I'm going to just be doing a flashing sequence of 6 LEDs with 2 sets, I'm sure I can find this online, I'll look into the 555 4017 configuration as well, thanks.

EDIT: I've looked into the 555 4017 circuit, I'll be using that and it's no problem if there's a gap from the first to the sixth, I hope the local radioshack has them.

SECOND EDIT: Radioshack doesn't carry the 4017 in store... I'll try to find a local supplier somewhere that can probably help me with it too.

Last edited: