Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Led from Mercedes headlight

Hello!
I had a spare headlight from my mercedes laying around and decided to take it apart. I took the powerfull led out.The problem is that I don't know what voltage I will have to connect to which contacts on the connector. Can someone pleas help me? I took some pictures and used a multimeter to make a scematic of al the connections.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 88
Get the vehicle wiring diagram to check if there is a power module driving the LED. That power module will be mandatory to use and fed by the 12V battery.

I don't think the power module will work for me. It has about 40 in/output pins. So that is bit to difficult I think.

Well, difficult is one thing; proper is another.
You can try feeding each led emitter with a current limited voltage source to the emission level of satisfaction under the smoking point.

That is what my plan already was, but than still which contactpoint is negative and which is positive? And what voltage should I hook up?

I would try first briefly with 2 AAA cells in series for 3V and mark red the + wire at the polarity that turns it on. It may be faint.
Then the polarity is known.
Next, depending on the voltage supply you want to use, calculate a series resistor, for which you should have an educated guess of the LEDs data sheet.
Edit. Magnifying your picture, see 6 emitters per LED. Perhaps the 3v will not be enough. 12V with 2KΩ in series may.

Last edited:
I got the light for free, and it had damage, but it still worked.

About the 2 AAA's in series to get 3 volt and test the polarity, I tried it with a 3.3 volt power suply with an other led out of the same headlight. So my first try was wrong and the Led was broken. This is my last led so I want to do it with care.