Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laptop Battery

Is there a battery on the mother board of a laptop like there is a desktop?
I have a Toshiba Satellite Model A135-S4427 that just shuts down, and changes the date and time on the computer sometimes. Or am I looking at motherboard faliure?

davenn

yes they do, either a button type on the board or a small battery pack wired to a connector on the m-brd. I havent opened my toshiba satellite so not sure of the type for that particular make.
Time for you to carefully open the case and see what type it has. They should be a readily available replacement

Dave

I agree, it could simply be the battery has died, resetting the BIOS date/time etc whenever it likes. If it's a simple silver coin cell battery like a CR2016 or 2025 or 2032 it'll be a piece of cake to replace; you can test it - it should be providing around 2.8V. If it's a battery pack, hopefully it won't require soldering.

I don't mind the soldering part, any idea where to look for the thing. I tried to look but you have to dismantel everything to get inside. Thanks for the help everyone!

I've mostly worked on PCs but the laptop should be similar to a degree. The part you need to get to should be accessible by removeing plates and screws from the underside. There will be some to remove the hard disk, possibly the DVD-drive, and another to add memory. Somewhere there will be a place with that battery :)