Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kims story about Gerbers, and Printed Circuit Boards

Ok, So here is a cautionary tale of making Circuit boards.I suddenly found myself needing circuit boards. Please put the children away to bed, and close the Blinds.
Ok, so as mentioned, I needed circuit boards, but I have little skills, like Gerber designing, BOTT Files and all the other stuff needing to be used, and at 60, everything NEW I learn, seems to push out other stuff I know, like using the potty.
Ok, so here is what I did:
-went to a website named Fivrr, where many many people, from many many countries post their abilities to do many many things.
-posted my needs in a "Wanted" Forum
-found a gentleman in India that looked at my design, and said he wanted to do it. He would include all files, parts lists, double sided, yada yada yada, even a 3d rendering of the completed board, for a mind boggling $7.98 price tag. For another $7.98 he would order and populate my boards, which I decided to do myself, as I am a sadist. For another 8 Bucks he designed and made all the files for a Power Supply, and also all the files for it, and then designed a Surface Mount version of my board as well.
Feeling Grateful, I tipped him $20.00 for all this, which he was quite appreciative to receive.
I paid all this, emptying my Bank Account, and then needed a manufacturer...YIKES...what to do then???

Ok, hauled my over-sized carcass over to Ali Express, only to find endless listings for PC Board manufacturing. Paid my $6.00, which actually was a "placeholder" to have the manufacture to quote my design. (Which ended up being refunded to me).
They quoted me $40.00 for the 10 boards (the absolute minimum), which included shipping back to me.
So off went the files to the manufacturer, and I expected then to spit the files back to me in absolute rage...they, just said to me the files were perfect....siiiiigh.
So 3 weeks later..........wrapped in excessive layers of bubble sheets...my boards arrived.
I kissed my mail lady in glee, which ended up being not really necessary, or appropriate, and I may be under investigation by our postal service, BUT have at least made a friend with my mail lady
So, that is the story...I hope that it helps people in need of Board Design, and Manufacturing.
And by the way...have been back to fivrr MANY times for more boards, and graphics needed for my cases.
I hope you find this useful!

Last edited: