Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Kenwood oscilloscopes?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I've not owned or used a Kenwood oscilloscope. Does anyone have anything to say about their build quality or failure rate in their old age? Or maybe experience in their repair... are they made of unobtainium?

"Kenwood" was the name of a very cheap "hi-fi" brand here, and I've consequently dismissed them. Was I right to?

Harald Kapp

are they made of unobtainium
I might have some of that in my junk box :D

"Kenwood" was the name of a very cheap "hi-fi" brand here
Not so cheap here, but I'll have to agree that I was not aware of Kenwood as a manufacturer of measuring equipment neither.
This shop (and others I looked up) states
Kenwood was a well-known provider of high quality oscilloscopes for many years.
But then again, they want to sell...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
I think I may have seen that same web site.

I'm after a personal recommendation. :)

I have used multiple Kenwood amateur radio equipment 40 years with no complaints. Their oscilloscopes have been around for at least 30 years and they should be even better built than their other equipment lines.
But I have repaired at least a dozen of 'brand name' Tektronix scopes whose power supplies are of stinky design and very expensive parts. I have repaired only one Kenwood equipment with a bad frequency divider IC.
Would prefer to try a Kenwood instead of many others. Kenwood service manuals were very well made. Check one on-line first to evaluate.

They changed their name to ----> http://www.texio.co.jp/en/

Last edited:
Kenwood Hi Fi equipment was fairly good as I recall, they also had some links with the Trio Hi Fi brand many years ago.

I've been using a Kenwood CS-1065 oscilloscope for more than 10 years now (an eBay buy back then) and have had no problems with it. And yes, a good manual (unlike some of their tranceivers).