Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is it possible that 2 different Arduinos combined can control 1 motor?

I have a school project in mind where I have a mobile robot on 2 wheels, therefore it must self balance. I would have 1 arduino contributing to 2 motors 1 for each wheel and it would be responsible for keeping the robot upright and balancing it.

The 2nd arduino would be receiving a signal from some remote source so the robot can be remotely operated, this arduino would contribute additional voltage for the motors which would result in movement for the robot, forwards, backwards etc.

My question is, is this even possible? If so how hard is this to implement? What would a solution look like? I was thinking about maybe having a PCB that accepts signals from both arduinos to provide the final voltage to the motor, or stepper or H-Bridge or whatever controls the motors for the wheels but I'm a computer engineering student with limited experience working with arduinos, motors etc so I need some advice on the electrical aspect of this project. I will be working on the software mostly and my team mates who are electrical engineers would tackle this portion of the project.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Harald Kapp

This is in principle possible but may require some consideration in terms of protective circuits to avoid short circuits between the motor drivers.
May I recommend another venue? Stick to one arduino driving the motors. Use the second arduino (if necessary at all) to send overlayng control commands to the first one. Have the first arduino modify the motor control by combining the internally generated control signals and the external signals by a few lines of code in software.
In my opinion this greatly reduces the risk of damage due to interfering control signals from two arduinos to one motor.

This is in principle possible but may require some consideration in terms of protective circuits to avoid short circuits between the motor drivers.
May I recommend another venue? Stick to one arduino driving the motors. Use the second arduino (if necessary at all) to send overlayng control commands to the first one. Have the first arduino modify the motor control by combining the internally generated control signals and the external signals by a few lines of code in software.
In my opinion this greatly reduces the risk of damage due to interfering control signals from two arduinos to one motor.
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much!