Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Internship in a US Electronics company

Hi all,

I'm a French student following a second year in a Master degree of engineering electronics.
I look for an internship dealing with hardware electronics in a US company.

I'm open to all offers, and I'm also open to comments and questions.
It would be good for me to have some advices for my search.

If you need more information, I can give you my cover letter, but I'm also available to any phone/skype calls.

Please see my curriculum vitae on the link bellow :
(don't hesitate to comment it, as the US CV is far different from the French one)
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=1LOYpHV3YgAhYRZh1ffhOGDNhhHA8HeIzHaLwEVJQQw4&hl=fr

Looking forward for your help,

Morgan

Good luck.
Most of the notable U.S. companies I know of do all their hardware overseas now.
You'll have to figure-out exactly what you're interested in doing, then look for a company
that still does that work in the States.
Design? Integration? Manufacturing? Service support?
Maybe if you specify your field, you might get some good leads.

My working field would be hardware design and integration. I have some difficulties to find "human-sized" companies, with less than 400 employees.

My searches always give me big and famous companies. Can you help me finding those smaller companies ? Can you tell me one to contact ?

www.SourceESB.com
They send me a hard copy every year. Lists component source companies.

You really should consider the type of industry you'd like to work in.
Military, medical, food services, industrial, computers, peripherals, whatever.
Isn't there some particular device or equipment you'd prefer to work with?

I have some preferences like Sonos for their wireless audio distribution and other companies for the power management projects. I am very curious, so almost every field is interesting for me.

The fact is that I don't know many companies working in these fields and I also have no contact.
I applied for internships in some companies but I don't really wait for a positive answer.

I don't know if you're continuing studies in the U.S. while doing an intership or not.
It'd help you a lot if you identified which U.S. State you would like to work in, and
look for companies operating in the city of that State.
Decide what you want. A particular field of electronics, or a State you want to go to.
It'll help you narrow-down choices.

No, I will not continue my studies during the internship. So I look for a full time one.

For the place where to go, I don't have any idea and preference, I don't have any experience in the US (work, living, etc...).

Three month is not enough to develop an entire system.
The best for me should be developing an high end wireless audio system such as the Sonos one.
Anyway, developing a domestic robot could be pleasant for me too.
Last but not least, I am also keen on household appliances, such as remote power management systems.

Tandy Corporation, owners of Radio Shack. They do all three. Most of their facilities are in Texas.
Samsung has some large facilities in San Francisco area of California.
Maybe somebody will have other ideas. These two companies are pretty open to college
student interns.
There are hundreds of others, but this is a start for you.