Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Intel Server Mobo S3200SH Dreaded 3 Beeps!

Anybody have any experience with these servers? Intel S3200SH. This server was a spare that I had and used for troubleshooting software issues. On start up the mobo gives three beeps then nothing. No error message or post does not boot. I've looked this up and it says it's a critical memory failure. I have tried a couple different sticks of memory to no avail. Is my Bios wiped out? Can I rescue this thing?

here is the manual of the server.
The 3 beeps code is indeed a memory problem.

Are you using the correct DIMMs according to the manual?

The DIMM's were removed from server boards that had also failed. I have 14 of these servers throughout my equipment so the DIMM's should be the same as the mobos are the same part and revision. This computer was working. I have been using it at my desk. I unfortunately being a dumb 4$$ did not have a surge supressor installed. Didn't think I really needed one as it was rarely turned on. Did not think about it powering up after a powerloss. They are configured in the bios to power up when power is returned after a power outage. Happened in the middle of the night and I came in to a dead CPU.

Only reason I noticed was because the computer was on with the fans running when I came in. Just won't boot now.

I would check all the voltages on the board with a DMM.
Could be a PS failure or an on board Capacitor failure.

I checked the PSU voltages and all test good, but tried a spare that I had just in case. A bad cap could very well be a possibility.

I'm tempted to try the bios recovery outlined in the manual. Do you know if I can make a bios recovery cd from a working CPU that is the exact same machine?

You probably can.
But how would you load it to the faulty one?
Is this the old socket type EPROM board?

No only things removable are processor and ram. I assumed from reading the manual and a couple of other old posts on forums that it would load from a USB stick or CD-ROM when the jumper was placed in recovery mode. I would just need an ISO image of working bios.

My understanding is basic, intermediate at best. It honestly doesn't matter if I get it to work or not. It's no good to me as is and will just go in the trash unless I can do something with it. I honestly enjoy the challenge.

Try it then.

I think without a working RAM it will not be possible.
As far as I know,
the CPU will copy from the USB to the RAM and from there to the BIOS chip.
But even before that how would the USB device work without a proper driver loaded?

Lol not sure. That's why I'm asking for help. So i obviously have something wrong with the ram part of the mobo. Possibly a power issue due to a faulty cap. Is there a particular chip associated with the ram that could have gone bad? Not that that will help me at this point.

Ok, so after leaving the CPU overnight with the PSU unplugged it booted once this morning long enough for it to start checking the directories on the hard drive. Shortly after it failed again and I could not get it to work no matter what I did. In my opinion this points to a bad capacitor on the board. Thanks for the help dorke , I appreciate it.