Maker Pro
Maker Pro

In search of a brain...

My last brain transplant did not go well. They gave me a refurbished one. Not recommended...

Am looking for a mechanism assembly that will release a string across a 3mm plastic wall. An actuator inside a hermetic sealed 'bottle'; the mechanism outside holding/releasing the string.
-NO trough-wall holes-

Think as of a helium balloon. The string attached to it comes down to the release mechanism, makes a U turn and attaches to the same place at the balloon.

When energizing a 3.3 volt actuator inside the hermetic 'bottle', should release the string loop held by the mechanism outside the 'bottle'.
Existing industrial devices/solutions are too costly and waaaay too powerful. What/how would you do/suggest ?

(The simplified 'bottle' is actually a 3 inch PVC pipe portion, with some circuits inside, not relevant here, not part of the thread, not in discussion)

Saw a trip mechanism from inside an old elcb. Mechanism resembled a relay. Latch was mechanical off the armature, held closed by permanent magnet in the core. When power applied to the coil ( small current) flux of permanent magnet was overcome just enough to release the hold on the sprung armature. Reset obviously was by hand.

I'm thinking string attached to tiny rare earth magnet one side of wall , soft iron magnet keeper on opposite side of wall, current pulse through coil around keeper to release.
How much tension in the string before release?

Seeeenor Externet . . . .Que Paaaaaaaaaassssssssssa ?

Timing almost coincident with Sir Alec-teeeeeeee, just took me extra poke up and drafting time . . . . before I finished and noticed . . . .
This is considering that the "Balloon " is not either a LARGE weather balloon nor a divers "dead man" marker balloon.

MECHANICO - REFERENCING

Baloon Release Mark up.png

73's de Edd

+1 for Edd's concept. Very simple. I did something similar the release a ball and feather inside a long evacuated tube to demonstrate gravity on objects of different masses in a vacuum.

Ken

...How much tension in the string before release?
Pull force is about 20 N

The way I see it is the exterior magnet mechanism should not release the string but move a trigger to release the string.
If there is a device/gadget re-purposable from something else, or toy ?? , please advise.

Energizing one of these (from a diskette drive) :
stock-photo-two-floppy-disk-drive-worm-gear-stepping-motor-377855311.jpg

that makes a magnet slide by the inside wall to the point of pulling an exterior trigger is one of many contraptions in the possible list.

Edd : This seems a better release mechanism by sliding pin, but no trigger :

03dc0265b4d6b65d652e3b756b112d30.jpg
03dc0265b4d6b65d652e3b756b112d30.jpg
iu

Seen some cabinet doors with a mechanical push-lock / push-unlock mechanisms that may be applicable.

Keep thinking... thanks.

Why a triple picture showed up... I do not know. Please edit/correct/delete extras.

One thing not mentioned is how you will set the balloon string clamp in a sealed container. 20 Newtons to Pounds-force = 4.4962. That's a pretty hefty balloon. This is getting to be a "20-questions thread". Can you do a sketch of what you are trying the create?

Sometimes it's easier to help solve you problem, than help solve your solution. ;)

Ken

The way I see it is the exterior magnet mechanism should not release the string but move a trigger to release the string.
Now that we know you need a holding force of 20N. that makes sense. A reed switch inside the enclosure could acivate the servo shown in your pic.

Thanks.

Ken : The string is held outside the 'bottle' by a release mechanism, a magnetic actuator is inside the 'bottle'. If your question is about resetting, take it as no resetting. After release; it's done.

Alec : The white arm in the last picture could be pulled levered towards the 'bottle' wall by a sliding magnet inside the 'bottle' instead of by a servo as pictured.

There is maaany ways to think and that is only one.

The white arm in the last picture could be pulled levered towards the 'bottle' wall by a sliding magnet inside the 'bottle'
The magnetic pull would be very weak when the arm is away from wall, so I don't see that working well. Better perhaps if the lever were held against the wall initially, by the maximum pull of a stationary magnet, and then pulled away by a spring when the magnet moved?