Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need help indentifying a component for an old CRT TV

Hi,
Im not really tech savvy but Im desperately trying to repair an old Sony Trinitron CRT TV. Ive taken it to an electrician and from what he told me that this is the part that needs replacing (The one with TDK written on it). He surprisingly doesnt know where to get the component or what it is so Im hoping anyone here could tell me what the component is atleast help me find out what it is. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2016-11-18 at 19.15.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-11-18 at 19.15.37.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 152
If the electricion does ot know what it is, how does he know it is faulty?
I think it is a ferrite cored transformer in the power supply. Probably not faulty.

To the left of the picture are two fat capacitors. These are intended to smooth the rectified mains. One of the capacitors has a domed top and will be faulty. Replace both, check any fuse.

davenn

agreed

I think it is a ferrite cored transformer in the power supply. Probably not faulty.

yup, looks like the SPMP section

To the left of the picture are two fat capacitors. These are intended to smooth the rectified mains. One of the capacitors has a domed top and will be faulty. Replace both, check any fuse.

yup, good spotting, definitely a faulty cap

Dave

It may be that I'm not seeing it clearly but the components below the transformer look as if they have gotten hotter than they should have. There seems to be some charring in that area. However, it could just be some black dust from outside.

@Arian Anyway you could clear away the dust and snap another photo?

Sir Arian. . . . . . .

You made the almost fatal error of neglecting to give the units model number . .I picked a probably similar KVES29M90.
Your units model number is being BADLY needed.

See if you can track down this YELLOW RECTANGLED . . . . . . . BLUE marked . . . . resistor and see if it is reading 5 ohms or open ?

SONY BOARD LAYOUT

SONY_CRT_SUPPLY.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had another look at your photo. The capacitors that I suggested you replaced have been marked with a red blob. Another capacitor is also marked.
Who did this, have you had someone looking for faults?
Does your electrician know about electronics?

I feel sure that the marked up capacitors were just the markings of the .Q.C.. Inspector .

The identified transformer is the MAIN SMPS transformer of the unit with multi outputs.
The barely visible smaller one of T6601, is the units standby / keep alive SMPS supply.
I can fill in, as the units model comes back.

73s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks alot for your suggestion and I do agree cause thats the same way I fixed my japanese sega saturn and the busted capacitors looked exactly like that. I guess I should go more into depth because I dont want to waste my time and money looking for parts that wont fix the tv and thanks to the manual I know whats wrong with it atleast according to the manual. Its a Sony KV-ES34M31 and when I try to turn it on it blinks 6 times and refuses to turn on. It says that its due to the "H pulse output is too high." which are in the locations "C6831 is open circuit. CN6101 (D1 board) is disconnected.". Are these understandable effects for broken ferrite cored transformers or is it the capacitors thats the issue here? Your help is immensely appreciated.

Thank you

I have had another look at your photo. The capacitors that I suggested you replaced have been marked with a red blob. Another capacitor is also marked.
Who did this, have you had someone looking for faults?
Does your electrician know about electronics?

To be honest he seems like a total amateur but he owns the only store thats willing to fix CRT tvs sadly. Looking up and learning from experienced people that know what theyre talking about and giving clear and direct instructions on what to do seems to be the best way to get things done here, once again its how I got my gaming console fixed because they were all clueless. Im pretty young and clueless in the world of electronics but if I had my own soldering gun and the proper space and equipment I would try at least attempt fixing it myself but with something like a CRT tv seems way too difficult just from the massive size of its circuit compared to what Im dealing with.

Sir Arian. . . . . . .

See if you can track down this YELLOW RECTANGLED . . . . . . . BLUE marked . . . . resistor and see if it is reading 5 ohms or open ?

73's de Edd

Yeah sorry should have given the model number earlier, Ill try to go back and check the resistor you mentioned. Ill try to get back at you as soon as possible.

Thanks