Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Huawei B593s-22 WiFi Modification

B593s-22-05-mobo2.jpg Huawei-B593.jpg Attached image is the circuit board of my router. The two SMA connectors at the top of the board, one on either side, are for the cellphone antennas (it's a mobile 4g router).

The router has WiFi capability, but no external WiFi antenna port.

I can see two small signal connectors bottom right - but I suspect these are only breakout ports for factory testing, many people have suggested similar looking 'ports' on various cellphones can be used to attach an external antenna however after lots of past googling it seems this is generally not the case (inserting something into them mostly seems to break the circuit and you just end up connected to the device's internal antenna, not the transmitting circuitry)

I'm not sure if those connectors are actually anything to do with the WiFi side of things anyway!

Can anyone with more experience than I, see anywhere obvious on the board where I could splice in an antenna socket (SMA, or whatever) to provide an external WiFi antenna connection?

It's an older piece of equipment now, and it's mine not the telco's property so I don't mind if I end up destroying it - I'm interested in trying to attach a 'cantenna' type directional aerial, and try to communicate with a similarly modded router across open fields, about 2 miles away. I don't have perfect line-of-sight, but not far off it. Just a few trees and a gas station about midway.

I guess if there's a readily identifiable point to splice in both pin and shroud for an external antenna, and comms using this sort of setup isn't entirely out of the question, it's worth playing with. But if the answer is, there's absolutely no chance of the two routers ever seeing each other over that sort of distance, it's not a project worth bothering with..

There's a picture of the flip side of the board plus more info at this link: https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/categories/7-huwei-b593

Last edited: