Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to safely wire or utilize a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use an old switch on a lamp that I'm building but it can be easily disassembled by a child. Is there a way to wire the switch in without directly exposing it to 110v ? Would I use a relay or is there a way to wire to prevent any possible shock just in case someone accessed the inside?
Thanks,

If you're trying to make a lamp that's intrinsically safe then supply it with low voltage only and work with that to get the light output you want. Other than that I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

One goood way to prevent shock would be to buy an inline GFI (Ground Fault Interupter)., and install at the plug end of your appliance..
You see thjese on Mains powered pressure washers, and other equipment used outside and/or around water.

Y2KEDIE,

A GFCI only works if there is an alternate path to ground from the hot line. Taking apart a line operated lamp would just expose the "kid" to line-to-neutral electrocution

Healthyou,

How about a photo of what you are trying to do.

Ken.

Sorry But your wrong.

A GFI works by measuring current in only the current carrying two legs: L1 and L2. It does not use the safety ground for operation. It uses differential measurement. This is what makes it perfect for the application above.

A GFI works by measuring current in only the current carrying two legs: L1 and L2. It does not use the safety ground for operation. It uses differential measurement.

So as long as I stand on a dry insulative surface like most interior floors while holding the line in one hand and the neutral in the other, the GFCI will see both legs in balance and continue supplying current to my cooking heart!

KMoffett is correct. A GFCI is not a panacea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.