Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to power a phone with no battery

Hi everyone,
I have an LG G3 that I want to use as a stationary device and leave it hooked up permanently.
I prefer not to do it with a battery for various understandable reasons.
My questions are:
What parts do I need to convert USB 5V to 3.8V?
What other factors (like currant) should be considered and how to deal with them?

Thanks!

Welcome.
Make a dummy battery from a piece of wood or plastic with the exact dimensions and terminals to fit in the phone and bring their connection out to a 3.7V regulated wall adapter capable of the maximum current the phone may need; observe proper polarity. Perhaps 200-500 mA

Why not leave it as it is and connect to the charger that came with it.
I cannot think of any "various understandable reasons" but perhaps you could supply them.
There may be other work-arounds.

Welcome.
Make a dummy battery from a piece of wood or plastic with the exact dimensions and terminals to fit in the phone and bring their connection out to a 3.7V regulated wall adapter capable of the maximum current the phone may need; observe proper polarity. Perhaps 200-500 mA
I'm not sure what is the max currant, where can I find it?

Why not leave it as it is and connect to the charger that came with it.
I cannot think of any "various understandable reasons" but perhaps you could supply them.
There may be other work-arounds.
If it will be connected to the charger forever it may cause the battery to explode or function poorly.
I prefer to make it stationary and not using a battery at all.
I just wish to know what are the electronic components needed to get the right voltage and current for the phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

If it will be connected to the charger forever it may cause the battery to explode or function poorly.

incorrect as there is a charging circuit in the phone that controls charging

I just wish to know what are the electronic components needed to get the right voltage and current for the phone.

the voltage will be as stated on the battery ... 3.7V or whatever
the current is likely to be around 0.5A as previously suggested. I would use a 1A supply so that it isn't working to it's limit

you may well find that the fone will run off the charger that came with it even if no battery is installed

Dave