Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do I install a USB hub on a 5watt/9V solar panel?

Hello Friends

I am totally a beginner and I need your help!!! :p I can buy USB hubs which can be used with 18V solar panels here. But how do I install a USB hub on a 5watt/9V solar panel? My intention is to charge mobile phones directly from solar panel without using any battery bank. Does that make sense? :confused:

Any answer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shine

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The easiest solution is a buck regulator set for a 5V output. You can get modules for a couple of bucks from eBay.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
The major drawback will be that if the phone draws too much power, and the panel voltage falls below 5V, the output will also fall below 5V.

There's really not a lot you can do about that.

You can mitigate against it by

1) ensuring the panel is pointing directly at the sun
2) making clouds go away
3) keeping the sun high in the sky
4) keeping the panel cool

Some of these are more practical than others :)

The major drawback will be that if the phone draws too much power, and the panel voltage falls below 5V, the output will also fall below 5V.

There's really not a lot you can do about that.

You can mitigate against it by

1) ensuring the panel is pointing directly at the sun
2) making clouds go away
3) keeping the sun high in the sky
4) keeping the panel cool

Some of these are more practical than others :)

Okay, thanks again, Steve.

Good luck! :):):)

attachment.php

Here's an image I found. But It has a "charge input" to charge battery bank. I wonder if we can replace the "Charge input" with the "USB hub".

Really hoping it works.

What do you think, Steve?

Attachments

• F3TAHEEHKM941EF.MEDIUM.jpg
    F3TAHEEHKM941EF.MEDIUM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 335

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
That might work, but if your panel is rated at 5W, you'll get a maximum of about 2W output. That may be insufficient to charge a phone.

The option I suggested above will give you 4W (or more) from a 5W panel.

Okay, got it. Thanks!!!

Hello Steve,

THANK YOU for all your help thus far.

I hope you won't mind if I ask you something off the topic.

We import solar panels from Jiangsu, China. We sell quite a large quantity in our country. I asked my partner about building a mini-factory in my country. His EXCUSE is there is no raw material and machinery. We only have man power.

Currently, there is NO solar manufacturer in our country. What if we can;

1. purchase solar cells from China
2. build an assembly workshop in my country

Is there any feasibility?

Please FEEL FREE to make a personal comment.

Thanking you,

Shine

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Is there any feasibility?

I'm sure it's feasible.

I'm just not sure it's profitable.

You would have to be able to be able to produce at smaller volumes (presumably) and your labour costs (and other costs like equipment, parts, etc.) would have to be no greater than those available in China, plus a bit to allow for lower freight costs.

You might be able to compete on quality or features, but for the former you're going to have to source high quality cells.

I think you would have to research the requirements for making panels and determine what you could make them for. Assuming this is less than what you could buy them for, is there enough margin to make anything selling them?

I'm sure it's feasible.

I'm just not sure it's profitable.

You would have to be able to be able to produce at smaller volumes (presumably) and your labour costs (and other costs like equipment, parts, etc.) would have to be no greater than those available in China, plus a bit to allow for lower freight costs.

You might be able to compete on quality or features, but for the former you're going to have to source high quality cells.

I think you would have to research the requirements for making panels and determine what you could make them for. Assuming this is less than what you could buy them for, is there enough margin to make anything selling them?

Many thanks for all the answers, Steve!

Wishing you all the best luck! :D

Shine