Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hoover handy 2 4.8 V vacuum cleaner

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, so I would like to say hello and thank you; I am not very familiar with electronic circuits so decided to ask for some help.

I have a portable vacuum cleaner that stopped working recently, it does not charge or start. The only thing working is the charging light, so I've taken it apart and found one circuit board that looks fried and did not bother to check anything else.

Could anyone please explain how do I go about from here?

I have attached some photos of the circuit board and wiring.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4038.JPG
    IMG_4038.JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4040.JPG
    IMG_4040.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.

The 'frying' comes from an overheating resistor - the big one - which 'may' have now gone open-circuit.

If you have a test meter you can check the resistor for continuity. I would also be concerned for the battery - the charging method is a bit 'brutal' and rechargeable cells last longer if they're better treated so even if the charging circuit is repaired you might want to consider fitting a new battery too.

Welcome to the forum.

The 'frying' comes from an overheating resistor - the big one - which 'may' have now gone open-circuit.

If you have a test meter you can check the resistor for continuity. I would also be concerned for the battery - the charging method is a bit 'brutal' and rechargeable cells last longer if they're better treated so even if the charging circuit is repaired you might want to consider fitting a new battery too.

Thank you for your reply, yes it has overheated. I have tested it just now and after a couple of seconds the circuit overheats. The big resistor reads around 2.5 Ω and the smaller one around infinity. I have tried to find the right resistor based on the colors but they are very discolored; the big one is I think is Orange, Brown, Silver, Gold and the smaller one: Violet, green, brown, light green??

I couldn't find matching resistors for any of them though.
The battery is glued in, and it doesn't want to come out so I don't have much info except it is 4.8 V!