Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Honeywell HD6 PTZ Camera mount control options

A26FCDB2-C1A5-4671-8830-8C45094B2ED5.jpeg I recently acquired a Honeywell HD6 pressurised dome PTZ security camera. All the PCBs etc are connected and appear to have power (based on the indicator LEDs).

It runs from a 20VAC supply. All the external wiring is also present however no plugs/adaptors at (what would be) the wall side. I’ve scoured the Internet for over 2 weeks, have downloaded HD6 manuals, tried to educate myself on the different protocols (PELCO D, etc) but am still struggling to grasp a way to control the mount.

I’ve attached a picture of the PCB that the external wiring connects too. The top portion is obviously for TX, RX etc.

I just want to be able to control the mount (not overly concerned with the camera at this stage) through Arduino with maybe MAX232 IC and joystick, external PC joystick, through a PC itself.

I just don’t know what else I require or how to send/receive data from the mount.

Can provide more details/photos if necessary

have downloaded HD6 manuals, tried to educate myself on the different protocols (PELCO D, etc) but am still struggling to grasp a way to control the mount.
If you have the protocols and the interface the only reason it won't work is that one or both are 'wrong'.

Check out sites like this: https://www.commfront.com/pages/pelco-d-protocol-tutorial#1 and use their interface programs to see if there's a specific issue with your camera. If you can confirm it works using proprietary drivers then your conversion to Arduino is suspect.

Have you set any links/straps/switches to program any address/termination etc requirements that may be needed?

“Interface” as in controller??

I have no interface. I have the camera mount and associated PCBs etc all intact.

My problem is knowing how to connect to/and to what kind of interface

Could be or might be steppers.
Fairly broad query. As a comparison it only takes one rocket to get into space, problem is the bit in between the idea and the objective.

Surely it’s just a matter of controlling to dc motors?? Or am I mistaken?

The site I link to above shows the protocols needed to operate the PTZ - it's a serial signal with various 'commands' that may be specific to the manufacturer (I'm not familiar with the CCTV camera you show) so unless your 'code' matches what the manufacturer specifies then nothing will happen.

You can't control the motors 'directly'.

Protocol.png
The diagram above shows the two command signals, each of which is split into the 8-bits that operate the various functions.

For example, to get the motor to 'pan left' you need to send Command 2 with a bit pattern of xxxxx1xx (the 1 being the bit position for the instruction 'pan left'). etc etc. To STOP the camera panning left, you have to send Command 2 again but with the relevant bit set back to zero.

Check also (link on the left on the main page I linked to above) the RS485 communication protocol which is the 'multi-drop' method used to interconnect those types of camera (although RS232 may work with just the one).

Last edited: