Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Homemade Slow Blow Fuse

So I am trying to figure out what this fuse is made out of so that I can recreate it. Basically it is a fuse that blows, when the amp draw gets too high, by breaking contact. When the amp draw lowers it reconnects allowing current to again flow through. If anyone could let me know what this glass cylinder is called or any pointers as where to look for it I would really appreciate it.
20180220_150516.jpg 20180220_150527.jpg

Looks like a home brew thermal "flasher" switch. Currents heats up the bi-metal leg. The leg bends, breaking contact with the other leg and opens the circuit. No current flows. The bi-metal leg cools, unbends, contacts the other leg, closing the circuit. And the cycles repeats.

Ken

Looks like a home brew thermal "flasher" switch. Currents heats up the bi-metal leg. The leg bends, breaking contact with the other leg and opens the circuit. No current flows. The bi-metal leg cools, unbends, contacts the other leg, closing the circuit. And the cycles repeats.

Ken
Awesome thank you for the info! that helps me out a lot.

I would call it a dangerous hacked fuse.

I'm all for finding workarounds and saving money, but I wouldn't think of making something like this. It's not wise to guess at how much current your fuse will limit, or wither it will work at all.

Just buy the proper fuse for crying out loud!

I would call it a dangerous hacked fuse.

I'm all for finding workarounds and saving money, but I wouldn't think of making something like this. It's not wise to guess at how much current your fuse will limit, or wither it will work at all.

Just buy the proper fuse for crying out loud!
There is a reason behind wanting to replicate, heck if I could locate who manufactured this I would purchase it instead.It doesn't have a label or anything about where it came from. I only assume it is home made and it works well. Again I would buy it if I can locate the manufacture, part of the reason I posted this item was to find out where it came from.

Then search for an auto resetting fuse or circuit breaker for the voltage and current ratings you need. If you try to make one yourself you won't know if it will be safe or reliable.

Then search for an auto resetting fuse or circuit breaker for the voltage and current ratings you need. If you try to make one yourself you won't know if it will be safe or reliable.
my hope was that it was pre-made and all I would have to do is solder the ends to a copper cylinder. Making it from scratch isn't something I would attempt without extensive knowledge.

thank you I will look into that as well.
Ken, I think you have resolved my issue with the polyfuse. It looks to be an auto resetting fuse which is exactly what I was looking for. I can design a workaround with this type of fuse. I have been researching self resetting fuses and haven't come across this type yet so thank you.