Maker Pro
Maker Pro

High Voltage Capacitor

Hi everyone, first I'd like to apology for my poor english which is not my primary language,
then I have just a short question, I'm making a circuit that need an high voltage pusle, so I use one of my old disposable camera but the capacitor that is inside doesn't take enough power so I wanted first to be sure, the voltage that is written on the capacitor is the maximum voltage that the capacitor will store but I'm not sure what does an higher or lower micro farad will change. Then I wanted to know if I could change the capacitor of a disposable camera by an more powerful one or it will fry the circuit? Thank you a lot

A higher "micro farad" rating means the capacitor will hold a bigger charge.

The voltage rating is the maximum voltage the capacitor can handle. If you replace the capacitor, make sure to replace it with one with the same or higher voltage rating. In a camera flash circuit, it's probably a 400V rated capacitor.

If you put a larger capacitor in the camera flash circuit, it will hold a larger charge, take longer to charge, drain the batteries more, and it may overload the output of the circuit, the flash coil or fry the flash tube if you fire it with the larger capacitor. But being a cheap disposable camera, if you ruin it does it matter? Give it a try. Just be careful, that capacitor can give you a nasty jolt if you touch it while it's charged.

What are you going to use the circuit for?

Hi, ok thanks, I wanted to be sure that it would still charge the capacitor after it came to the limit of the older capacitor but if it does that's great, and if I'm using an disposable camera it's because there's a led bridge and an trasnformtor, I'm trying to generate a pulse so I just charge the capacitor and connect the wire to it so I don't have problems for the bulbs