Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hidden weapons in a police car

I have a project I've decided to take on. I bought a police interceptor vehicle (98 model Ford Crown Vic with police package), and I want to take some firearms that I own and hide them in the car in various places, and have them appear at the push of a button. I have an engineering degree, but it's chemical, not electrical. So basically I don't know what I'm doing.

I thought I'd post my idea and have someone tell me "no way, man, this would be so much easier...." and then tell me the right way to do it. What I plan on doing for part of the project is putting a console between the two front seats with a 30 caliber pistol in it (see attached photo). I want to take a 12V linear actuator and have it push a platform up that the pistol will be mounted to. The right side of the platform will have one wall (on the passenger side) that will stand higher than the pistol, and this will be used to force open the top of the console which will be mounted on cabinet hinges that will close automatically when the platform retreats back down into the console.

The linear actuator will then be wired to a polarity reversing switch somewhere inside the car or I will use a key fob radio control.

I was also planning on using various other linear actuators in the car to move aside hidden compartments. Is there an easier/cheaper way to do this? I'll post pics of projects when I get started. Thanks!

Attachments

• enforcer.jpg
    enforcer.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 9,046
Well, I think actuators would be the most straight forward way. You could also use motors, but that would require using rubber belts and pulleys to make lateral movement.

I have to ask though, why do you want to do this? Putting hidden guns into an old CVPI is a very bad idea. Assuming that you are a sane, normal individual, doing this is just asking for you get hauled off the jail during a routine traffic stop.

The sane, normal part is questionable. During a routine traffic stop it's not likely they would search my vehicle to find any weapons. If they did, it would raise questions, but it's perfectly legal for me to do it. I have a permit to carry a loaded weapon on me or have it in my vehicle that is valid in the state that I live in as well as all of the surround states and all those I travel to. Also, I own a brick and mortar gun shop and I'm a federal firearms licensed dealer. So legally, I'd be fine.

As to the why, just because I don't think it's been done before.

Everything that is legal is not a good idea!

While your CCW allows you to have concealed weapons on you and in your vehicle, if the police discover this setup, you can count on some rather unpleasant scrutiny. How will the police discover this?

Police officers know the inside of the standard police vehicle well and if there is a visible change in an area next to the driver's right hand, they will notice it and it will zero in on it.

During a routine traffic stop many officers want to know about the location of every firearm and a few paranoid ones want to take possession of them for the duration of the stop. If you are caught lying, bye bye FFL and CCW.

A car accident can damage the vehicle enough to expose one of your secret chambers.

A mechanic working on the vehicle may discover an empty hidden chamber and decide that the safest thing to do is to allert the police.

Like I said earlier, just because something is legal does not mean it is a good idea.

---55p

Last edited:
If you are driving with a loaded, consealed firearm other than what is your permit calls for, a flag will go up. Where I live other than your permited firearm they have to be unloaded in transit. Being a dealer you should know that.

If you are driving with a loaded, consealed firearm other than what is your permit calls for, a flag will go up. Where I live other than your permited firearm they have to be unloaded in transit. Being a dealer you should know that.
You need to move to a place with better gun laws and better spelling.

Among the states that issue concealed carry permits, in the overwhelming majority of them, a concealed carry permit is not restricted to any one model or even type of firearm. In these states, when you get your permit you can pack a J-Frame 38 special or a 44 Magnum, a 32 auto or a 1911 or a Glock or whatever else you can legally own.

---55p

Last edited: