Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with Philips 42" plasma TV

Doe's anyone know why i can't get a picture or sound on my philips 42" plasma model number 42PF5520D/10 tHANKS

As I understand it, if you lay a plasma tv down flat, you will ruin it. Try googling the problem your having (and provide some more details). My information is sketchy and second-hand at best, so don't take my word for it.

No picture and sound together, usually points to a defective power supply, or there is a failure on one of the other boards and the power supply is in the protect mode.

These sets are normally serviced by doing board swaps, as just like servicing a computer. In some instances the new board may require some calibration. For this you would have to consult the service manual. You will also require the proper test and calibration equipment to make the adjustments.

If the set is more than about two years old, replacement boards may no longer be available. Call the manufacture tech support for proper and accurate information.

Jerry G.

Hi
There is achance that a flexi ribbon cable has become loose or disconnected
remove the rear panel and check all cables and connectors this was a common fault with these models at one time
post a picture with the rear panel removed i might have the answer

davenn

As I understand it, if you lay a plasma tv down flat, you will ruin it. Try googling the problem your having (and provide some more details). My information is sketchy and second-hand at best, so don't take my word for it.

dunno where you heard that from, have never struck that problem with servicing them :D

Dave

dunno where you heard that from, have never struck that problem with servicing them :D

Dave

From the fine folks at Wal*Mart who won't take one back if the tv has problems during transport from the store if it breaks and is in this position.

Trying to find an authoritative source on the issue, though.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-misconceptions.html

#9 is as close as I can get:
Fragile, yes - as two sheets of glass are compressed together to form the plasma display element. While they must be handled with care, the main consideration is keeping them upright. The plasma glass is weighty and can crack if a plasma television when laying face down is jarred or dropped. Aside from that there is nothing really to be concerned about that you would not ordinarily consider.

(emphasis mine)

davenn

well any glass sheet will break if dropped even that on a LCD panel ;)

so its not a plasma screen thing ... and its the jarring or dropping that is the problem

for normal good use and care taken in servicing laying it flat isnt a problem :)

Dave

Good to know. The only reason I asked that though was because I took someone's word for it (their reasoning was the gas leaks out, good to know that's an utter myth).