Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with electronic terminology

Hi,
I am trying to decipher the following statement (to see if the plug *should* have been GFCI)

"Operates on standard household current, 115 VAC, 15 AMP minimum grounded circuit"
This was supposed to be for an electronically powered (not battery) out door stair lift (stair chair) -

"SL350OD Outdoor Stair Lift"
http://www.harmar.com/products/SL350OD

I am in Canada. The lift was installed in November 2012.

Thank you

I believe here, in Massachusetts, USA, all outdoor outlets are required to be GFCI.

Edit: And whether or not it is required, it is a good idea.

Bob

I believe here, in Massachusetts, USA, all outdoor outlets are required to be GFCI.

Edit: And whether or not it is required, it is a good idea.

Bob

Hi and Thank you Bob,
Do you know what the this means?
"Operates on standard household current, 115 VAC, 15 AMP minimum grounded circuit"

Does the phrase imply that it *should* have <had> a GFCI plug? Or is a "simple" grounded plug adequate?

It had a socket similar to computer equipment (the holes are located such that they cannot hold a "regular household plug") (E.g. PC power cord)

Plus, the cord was plugged into a receptacle (OLD) in the garage, and was cemented THROUGH a brick wall ending up on the outdoor steps (where the computer-like plug was lying on the OUTDOOR stairs!)

I need to ensure that the above complies with electrical standards? Was safe?

Thanks again!

We're in the States. Like BobK said, we're required by law to have GFCI's on outdoor
circuits.
You're talking apples and oranges with your question. What's 'safe' and what's 'required'. I'd interpret your quoted statement NOT to mean GFCI. But that
doesn't take into account your building codes wherever you're at. Call the local building
code office, or an electrician business, and ask them if GFCI is required where you're at.
Also, like BobK said, either way, it's a good idea to have the GFCI. (Especially when
somebody in a wheelchair is going to be using it).

Hi and thanks,
So in other words, the text "Operates on standard household current, 115 VAC, 15 AMP minimum grounded circuit" does NOT state that the company will be installing a GFCI receptacle? It would mean they would instal an extension with a standard 3 holed receptacle?

We're in the States. Like BobK said, we're required by law to have GFCI's on outdoor
circuits.
You're talking apples and oranges with your question. What's 'safe' and what's 'required'. I'd interpret your quoted statement NOT to mean GFCI. But that
doesn't take into account your building codes wherever you're at. Call the local building
code office, or an electrician business, and ask them if GFCI is required where you're at.
Also, like BobK said, either way, it's a good idea to have the GFCI. (Especially when
somebody in a wheelchair is going to be using it).

Does the protection associated with the GFCI include both people in contact with the device and the device itself?

Thank you!

[So in other words, the text "Operates on standard household current, 115 VAC, 15 AMP minimum grounded circuit" does NOT state that the company will be installing a GFCI receptacle? It would mean they would instal an extension with a standard 3 holed receptacle?

That is the way I would interpret it, however your local codes may require a GFCI receptacle. This would supersede the above statement.

I'm pretty sure that feeding a service cord through mortar or concrete without a conduit is not allowed by any electrical code. This was not your question but it seemed worth mentioning.

I'm pretty sure that feeding a service cord through mortar or concrete without a conduit is not allowed by any electrical code. This was not your question but it seemed worth mentioning.

This is related to my question.
It is related to the fact that IMO there was no (or minimal) knowledge of electronics and any potential risks.

Thank you