Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help, what SMD is that?

Hello guys, I'm looking into repair an old motherboard just for fun, but I'm stuggle trying to figure out what is this black piece with SR8 on top of it on that picture:
SR8.jpg
This is part of an ARTEMITER X79G motherboard, the very bottom of the board near the speaker.
Whole Mobo.jpg

That's not 'S' that's the number '2'.

I suspect you're looking at an inductor but I would need a side-on picture to confirm.

2.8 uh / or / mh ferrite " dumbell " inductor . . . . . side view . . .
And with the illustration shown below, and its turns count, its more in the 2 .8 mh spec,
would have to see the winding wire size and turn count on yours for its confirmation.
Look elsewhere for your trouble .
upload_2022-4-20_2-21-24.png

Last edited:
Ed, you did a good job identifying the part in question, I wasn't sure what it was from the photo(s).
But, do recall the OP mentioned they were looking at the PCB "just for fun", and didn't know what the part was, not that they suspected it was a problem with the motherboard. B^)
Over the years I've seen parts on PCBAs that I hadn't encountered before.
Sometimes putting whatever was printed on the part into a web search was sufficient for "a hit",
but in the case of this inductor, one would probably end up in a lady's swimwear catalog B^).
Other times, like the OP, I needed to ask someone if they knew what the part was, especially if a schematic/parts diagram was not available.

FYI; One company I worked for designated electrolytic capacitors on the silkscreen with an "Exxx" instead of the usual "Cxxx".