Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help to identify fan terminal type

Hi guys, I'm changing out some fans and I'd like to replace the terminal connectors but I'm not sure of the type. My Google Foo points towards an SM-3A auto electrical connector but I'd like to get a second and third opinion. The image shows both types, a 3 pin and a larger 4 pin. Although what I found is listed as an auto electrical connector, these connectors are installed in a moving head. Go figure....... here's the link to what I Googled.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3-pin-auto-electrical-wiring-harness_60556861533.html

Thanks in advance!!

FAN TERMINALS 3 And 4 PIN.JPG

bertus

Hello,

There are two diffrent types shown.
I see 3 and 4 pins.
In the 4 pin there is one pin not placed.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Although what I found is listed as an auto electrical connector, these connectors are installed in a moving head.
Auto parts are constructed to withstand rough conditions (temperature changes, vibrations, liqids, ...). Using them in a moving appliance seems to be a good choice then. As long as the ratings (voltage, current match the requirements of the application (e.g. 12 V fan at a few 100 mA). Automotive components are usually not suitable for operation on mains voltage. If the fans you're going to replace are of the type used in computers (or similar), these connectors are perfectly suitable.

Hello,

There are two diffrent types shown.
I see 3 and 4 pins.
In the 4 pin there is one pin not placed.

Bertus
Yes Bertus, the bottom image is a 4 pin with one pin removed. This was done by the company to differentiate between the two fans. Both are 3 wire but one is a blower and one is an axial. Is this a JST SM 3 pin and 4 pin connector?

Auto parts are constructed to withstand rough conditions (temperature changes, vibrations, liqids, ...). Using them in a moving appliance seems to be a good choice then. As long as the ratings (voltage, current match the requirements of the application (e.g. 12 V fan at a few 100 mA). Automotive components are usually not suitable for operation on mains voltage. If the fans you're going to replace are of the type used in computers (or similar), these connectors are perfectly suitable.
Yes Harald. Regular 12VDC cooling fans. One radial and one small blower type. So there can't be any overloading.