Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help removing pins from ECU plug

Hi, i need to remove the pins from the pictured plug so that i can replace the wiring to one of my sensors.

I have done this in the past (when i first bought the ecu) but am struggling how to remember how i did it.

Have tried with a flattened out piece of wire, paperclip, etc but whatever i do i just cant seem to release the pin.

Thought i'd ask here before i do any more damage in trying.

Thanks

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Try to insert your flattened wire to the desired wire pinhole and pull the wire ..if it didnt release try the other side ..remember that it has a notch or latch to prevent from lossen..

Do you have some new terminals?
Looking closely at the terminal locking tab should hopefully show you how to remove them from the connector.

What is the ECU?

Hi, i need to remove the pins from the pictured plug so that i can replace the wiring to one of my sensors.

I have done this in the past (when i first bought the ecu) but am struggling how to remember how i did it.

Have tried with a flattened out piece of wire, paperclip, etc but whatever i do i just cant seem to release the pin.

Thought i'd ask here before i do any more damage in trying.

Thanks

View attachment 24603
Do you have some new terminals?
Looking closely at the terminal locking tab should hopefully show you how to remove them from the connector.

What is the ECU?
I believed it is engine control unit..

No i don't have any new terminals so i am unable to inspect the locking pin.

I have ground town a small screwdriver to fit and even that wont seem to release it if i insert it into the small hole above the selected terminal.

Haltech ecu.

Sir Hughy . . . . . . . . . .

See if using this procedure, on that family of connector, will let you remove a terminal.

T7sbZGn.png

73's de Edd

So, if the wires are broken off at the plug then its pretty much impossible to push / pull them?

This is the problem i have, my concern in that by continuing to try pushing / pulling by inserting a small screwdriver either side that i am just going to butcher the holes in the connector.

Sir Hughy . . . . . . . . . .

Even with its wire pulled off at the rear , one should still be able to get a straightened small paper clip passing in thru the FRONT of the connector to then be physically stopped at the retained wire crimp.
Then it will be possible to frontally push the connector pin back and out of the shell at the rear . . . . . . after the depressed barbed tab permits rear passage.
I mentioned the initial PUSH in and then punch the barb down and then pull, because the barb usually has bitten into the plastic shell a bit.

73's de Edd

Last edited:
I agree with 73's de Edd, you should still be able to get the terminal out, just use something such as a paper clip to push the front edge of the terminal once you get the latch released. Yes, you want to avoid damaging the connector housing. Did you see any writing or markings on the housing? If there are any, you may be able to find information from the manufacturer that will help you figure out how to de-pin it.

ok, i found the plug i'm after, as well as the terminals to suit.

housing: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=188370855&uq=635891983275474171 1318747-1.JPG

terminals: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=188370861&uq=6358919832754741711123343-1.JPG

From everyone's experience, what is the best crimping tool to suit these type of terminals? The TE unit is $400+, which is ridiculous.
I have a few pairs of cheap crimping tools here for this style terminal but am looking at buying something a bit better that will do a good job - any recommendations?

Nice! I use a crimp tool I bought from a Matco tool distributor, I'll look at it on Monday and try to figure out what it is. It works well for those types of terminals. There is also another one we use at work that is pretty good, I'll post the specs on both Monday.