Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help on walkie talkie repair

I'm wanting to repair some vintage walkie talkies, late 60s early 70s, I'm wanting to replace a 50mfd 10v, a 30mfd 6v and a 5mfd 6v cap, I'm terrible at math I now mf to uf is 1000 to the 6th power, but I don't understand it, my question what would be the equivalent of mfd to uf?

bertus

Hello,

On this page you will find likely your answer:
https://novaenginc.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-mfd-capacitor/

From de page:
WHAT ARE MFD CAPACITORS
A huge variety of capacitors come with the markings of mFD or MFD mentioned after their capacitance value.
You will be able to see it as an MFD, and you can also see it as µF, which stands for microfarad.

So, the question arises, are mFD and µF one and the same thing?
The simple answer is they belong to the same measurement scale, i.e., mFD stands for “milli-Farad,” whereas µF stands for “micro-Farad.”
There are mostly old capacitors manufacturing companies that are using mFD instead of µF capacitors.

Bertus

Is it written mFD or mfd?.
Because 50mFD = 50,000 μF. If I’ve got it right of course!.
So probably 50mfd is 50μF.
But don’t take my word for it. Wait for a real answer because my math is worse than yours!.

Martin

bertus

Hello,

I would take a look at the physical size.
An 50000 uF would be much larger as an 50 uF capacitor.

Bertus

bertus

Hello,

I also have looked at a good supplyer (newark), but the largest aluminium capacitor would be 22000 uF.
I assume an 50 uF is ment to be used.
As 50 uF is no standard value, have a look for a 47 uF capacitor wich is a standard value.

Bertus

bertus

Hello,

50mfd 10v would be 47 uF 10 Volts in standard value.
30mfd 6v would be 33 uF 6 Volts in standard value.
5mfd 6v would be 4.7 uF 6 Volts in standard value.

You can always use a higher voltage rating.
The 10 Volts can be replaced with 16 Volts capacitor.
The 6 Volts can be replaced by an 10 or 16 Volts capacitor.

Bertus

SIr RetroTechTex . . . . .
From another Tex (an)
Why for ? you no ALSO give brand and model number . . . . . there are INNUMERABLE C.B.'s out there, since conception / introduction / allocation in 1958 on a portion of the former 11 meter ham band.

50mfd 10v, a 30mfd 6v and a 5mfd 6v cap . . . . . . . . . . . .of the olde tyme 1940-50-60 's specifications .

Are now being . . .
47 ufd @ 63 VDC
33 ufd @ 16 VDC
4.7 ufd @ 16 VDC
QUERY . . . . .
Are they (it) still working in xmit and receive + squelch functions . . .? . . . or, are there being deficiencies.
AS those E-cap failures / declines, would result in declines in their stages effectivity.

73's de Edd . . . . .

Anything labeled "New" and / or "Improved" . . . . . isn't.
That just means that they relabeled old stock . . . . and the price just went up.

Last edited: