Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help needed - bilge pump alert

Hi folks hoping someone can help. I'm returning a boat, installing a 12v bilge pump connected to a float switch to trigger the pump when there's water. Because I spend a lot of time away from the boat, I was wanting to have a warning light on my dash that will tell me that at some point whilst away the bilge pump had been running. And then I can reset the warning light ready for next time. What's the best way to do this?

What's the best way to do this?
Not sure what would be "best" but a simple way, with no electronics, is a 12V dual-coil latching relay that lights the lamp.

Cheaper, but slightly more complex, would be circuit with a latch, such as a CD4013 flip-flop driving an LED.

Your choice.

You could use an SCR like this-Capture.JPG and use an LED or bulb as the load. The "off" switch is the reset, the "on" is a 12 v signal from the switch. When the gate signal is removed (12v from the float switch), the SCR keeps conducting until it is reset. You can also put a reset switch in series with the load, but it has to be a normally closed type switch.

Relay alternative as per diagram below.

All additional parts could be housed up in behind the dash panel fed from 3 wires from the pump location.

PUMPFA~1.jpg

The 'best way' for me is no light consuming no electricity and no relays, no more wiring, no splices, no more circuitry, no more contacts, no more switches...
A tiny hose tapping at the pump discharge flow routed to an empty bottle above the sludge area. If you find water in the bottle, is because the pump ran. Reset: empty the bottle.

A tiny hose tapping at the pump discharge flow routed to an empty bottle above the sludge area. If you find water in the bottle, is because the pump ran. Reset: empty the bottle.
To me, adding that tap and hose is more work than adding a very simple circuit.
And the circuit gives you a remote indication.

Long live the deciBel.