Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Helmet Camera System (Need help)

Hi everyone,
sorry in advance if this is in the wrong section...

I would like to create a helmet mounted camera system that is attached either wirelessly or wired to an arm mounted LCD display that is a touch screen, and can view loadable maps on it aswell. How would i go about making this work and what would i need? I am thinking about making the camera IR aswell.
I know there is probably systems already made out there but i would like to attempt to make it from scratch, plus they would be well outside what i can afford.

I have added some pictures for reference as to what im trying to achieve. (i do not own the pictures)

any help is greatly appreciated,
Dan

lcd1.jpg lcd2.png cam1.jpg

How are you with electronics?
Your going to need a great deal of information and knowledge to build one yourself.

I am fairly good with electronics just never dealt much with processors and lcd modules, but i do want to learn so i can accomplish this task, and i know its going to be a big project but i am sure i can get it done.
I can post progress updates when i start working on it...

I am also thinking about having wireless cameras that can be set up around and transmitting back to the display, i am thinking to use 433Mhz transceivers for that if i do, as i have used them in the past...

Last edited:
Two things to consider with the wireless transmissions:
A) Send a compressed video stream for preview purposes only, and store the actual video on the camera module itself.
B) Send the entire video stream to the receiver/LCD module, and store the actual video on the receiver/LCD module.

Regardless of the method, you need to determine what your maximum data transmission rate is, and tailor the video feed to that limitation.
There is another individual on the forum who is playing with video transmission over a network, and yet another toying with the idea of wireless video transmission from a submersible. Both of these individuals ran into a bump in the road when the realization hit of how much bandwidth was actually required to send the video.

Depending on how far you want to go. It may be worth trying this with pre-made modules and slowly working your way down to an embedded solution.
Google around and take a peek at SOCs, and some of the Arduino products that can handle video input to begin with. Start to get some idea of the parts that are required, and use development platforms and kits to get you going.
Let us know if you run into a specific bump in the road and we'll help you past, but it's too much for me personally to cover all of the details. specifically because I have not done a project like this myself, and because I do not have the time to invest in the detailed research required to build this from the ground up.

Thankyou for the advise, i will continue my research and look into the bandwith for data transmission as well. I hope to have my arduino soon, so i can start using that for my experimenting instead of breadboards, thanks again for the help, I will post again once i have things sorted or run into trouble.