Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello from Beautiful Greenfield Indiana!

Hello all. I am Richard and I live in the beautiful city of Greenfield Indiana (about 20 miles East of Indianapolis). I have been involved in electronics since 7th grade and worked in the field for over 40 years. I am an Amateur Radio Operator (with an Extra class license). I currently work in quality assurance for a major pharmaceutical company. My hobbies (among many) include electronics, computers, Windows programming and a little red sports car...

73 de K9WG Richard

9712c47c2300c91e18872243b8019e79.jpg

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
@K9WG: Welcome to Electronics Point, Richard, from AC8NS!

The "NS" in my call apparently means "No Station" as I am without an antenna since moving to Florida in December 2016. I got my Novice license (call KN8UTJ) in 1966 while serving in the U.S. Air Force and stationed at Kincheloe AFB, MI. Unfortunately, I failed to upgrade after my enlistment was finished, so the one-year, non-renewable, Novice license expired.

I managed to miss most of the excitement as Japan took over the amateur radio market. I got re-licensed on 01 April 2013 after passing, in one sitting, Technician, General, and Extra examinations by VEs belonging to the Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA), the hosts of Hamvention™ every year. I joined DARA and volunteered to work at Hamvention™ during 2014, 2015, and 2016 events when it was still held at Hara Arena. I missed Hamvention™ when it moved to Xenia last year after Hara Arena closed. I will probably not be able to make it this year either. It's a long drive from Venice, FL to Xenia, OH. I do still have a house in Dayton, so at least I would be assured of a place to stay. Hotels in and around Xenia are virtually non-existent.

Nicely organized "shack" you have there. What bands and modes do you regularly work? Are you into digital modes? EME? I am working on a largish magnetic loop antenna for 80m CW, hoping to revive my Novice experience and re-learn International Morse Code with an Elecraft KX3 rig. I purchased the KX3 as a reward to myself for getting my ham license after being "off the air" for so many years. Later, I added the Elecraft KXPA100 with factory-installed KXAT100 automatic tuner, but I haven't used this with the KX3 yet because I don't have an antenna.

73 de AC8NS
Hop

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Welcome aboard Richard - I think you'll find many like-minded members here :D.

@K9WG: Welcome to Electronics Point, Richard, from AC8NS!

Nicely organized "shack" you have there. What bands and modes do you regularly work? Are you into digital modes? EME? I am working on a largish magnetic loop antenna for 80m CW, hoping to revive my Novice experience and re-learn International Morse Code with an Elecraft KX3 rig. I purchased the KX3 as a reward to myself for getting my ham license after being "off the air" for so many years. Later, I added the Elecraft KXPA100 with factory-installed KXAT100 automatic tuner, but I haven't used this with the KX3 yet because I don't have an antenna.

73 de AC8NS
Hop

I have the capability to operate 80-10 meters (I can tune 160 but it is a bit difficult). The station consists of:

Icom IC-718 160-10 meter
MFJ 969 tuner
Kenwood TM-V71 VHF/UHF
Two Grecom digital (P25 and Motorola) scanners
75 foot long wire antenna at about 35 feet up.
J-pole VHF/UHF antenna
Various handhelds and mobiles...

I am able to control the equipment via PC as well as utilize "sound card" modes.

I operated for several years in the MARS program until my work schedule made it difficult to get my hours in. Mostly I work local but on occasion will get on HF.

73 de K9WG - Richard

Kudos for posting a face picture! I'm a UK-based G4*** licence holder (full) and happy to see another operator joining the fold. Welcome.