Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Heater Fan - Remote Activation with Relay or wireless? 94 AC Supply Voltage

I have a ES38 Rinnai gas heater in the kitchen that puts out an enormous amount of heat in one room of a 5 room apt - it is a 2nd floor apt with an attic above. I'm going to install a vent in the kitchen ceiling connected to ducts in the attics to carry heat to other rooms, but need in-line fans in the ducts to come on when the fan of the ES38 comes on. I've volt tested the fan motor for the ES38 - its supply voltage is 94 volt AC.

I was thinking about a relay to a wireless switch in the attic to turn on/off the in-line fans. Will the coil of a 110V AC relay operate with 94V AC? I know nothing much about relays other than how they are usually used in vehicles (12V types).

I'm open to ideas. I guess there is no harm in pig tailing off the 94 volt AC fan supply to power a relay? 94V AC is an odd amount of voltage.

Will the coil of a 110V AC relay operate with 94V AC? I know nothing much about relays other than how they are usually used in vehicles (12V types).

I have a project this is related to, but in case that threat doesn't get any traction, if I can get a firm answer on this, I think I can move forward on the rest of the project. 94AC is odd source voltage, I think, but that what is coming from ES38 Rinnai gas heater (to power the fan).

davenn

I have a project this is related to, but in case that threat doesn't get any traction, if I can get a firm answer on this,

here's a firm answer Maybe !

seriously, that's as good as you can get, some may /or may not work better than others

here's a firm answer Maybe !

seriously, that's as good as you can get, some may /or may not work better than others

Thanks. I thought maybe there was a range of operation. So my latest thought is to transform 94AC to 12v DC and then relay or something from there (just thinking out loud). I'll research that before asking any questions.

I have some Norslo 240V AC 2 pole change over relays and did some measurements on them. Resistance 7k5.

AC 50Hz
130V pull in, 130V drop out.

Feeding with a diode.
Pull in 110V, drop out 75V

Feeding with a diode with another diode across the coil.
Pull in 90V, 20V drop out.

It seems that adding a diode or two could give more sensitiviy if you need it.

I do not think that changing to 12V DC will reduce the need to obtain the range of operating voltages.