Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Healthcare prof has question

Greetings and Happy New Year!!!

I want to design a multifunction device that has a laser pointer as one of its attributes. The laser pointer module I'm considering uses two AA batteries but these batteries are too big/heavy for the device. Are there any flat baterries I can use instead? My device needs approx 3-5mW output.

I don't know the diff b/t volts, watts or amps; but I'm learning. Please point me to any good educational resources.

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Jim

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
There are some laser modules that run from button cells. Given the low power usage of small (especially < 1mW red) modules, the only limit on the minimum size of batteries is their service life.

Do you actually know that you need 3-5mW?

I ask this because the real and apparent brightness vary significantly with wavelength. The normal red modules have a wavelength that is far enough into the red end of the spectrum that our eyes see them as quite dim. More orange ones appear much brighter. Green lasers of a similar power appear even brighter since this is near the peak of our eye's sensitivity. (Unfortunately they also tend to be quite power hungry)