Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Harman Kardon AVR 330 Receiver

I used my Harman Kardon receiver for many years until it suddenly "died" whilst in use, that is the sound suddenly faded out.

On inspection I found several burnt components on a power supply board CUP11581-5 including a transistor and with the help of the manual (available on the web) was able to identify all of them and so was able to get the receiver running again.

Later on the Optical digital inputs failed to operate (all three of them, two on the back and one on the front). It is important to have one of these working as an input from the TV as there are no HDMI connections on the receiver. The connectors don't light up as they should although the output Optical does. The matching Co-axial digital connectors, on the same board, do work. The board is CUP 11581 - 3.

I have reset the processor with no result. As there are no obvious faults, I am wondering if there is a software fault.

Any ideas please?

Optical inputs don't light up since they're receiving an optical signal via a photodiode, not sending one via a LED.

Can you post a pic of the CUP 11581-3 board? Maybe some bad capacitors on it. You did verify the settings were correct, selecting the correct optical input for your source?

If you can't fix it, you should be able to find optical to coax converters and use the coax digital input for your TV.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I wasn't quite sure how optical digital connections worked, but it should have been obvious...

Above are pics taken from various angles of the CUP11581-3 board.

The front optical connector is on a similar board.

I am sure that I have gone through all the various steps for connecting onto the optical input(s) as they read very similar in the manual to the instructions for the coaxial inputs, and they do work.

I have been using a DVD player as the source and I will change disks just in case the format of the present disk is wrong in some way.

I may end up buying a converter as a new receiver is costly and the HK is very high quality.

Just an update on the Harman Kardon although I haven't made any real progress.

I checked the inbuilt back up battery and it is OK. Also checked all the plug connections to the various boards.

I reset the amplifier to no effect.

I checked all six digital inputs i.e. three optical and three coaxial. In fact the coaxial 1 on the back panel is the only one that works. The coaxial 1 indicates DVD /COAX 1 on the front panel display . None of the other digital inputs can be made to indicate anything at all.

I would not be buying a converter at this stage without being sure the amplifier will keep working...