Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Green laser

Thank you for reading this
I want to get a Green Laser with an IR filter also if possible to get a focusable unit all built in
I am reactivating a Lab heavy duty chain driven pointing device and have all the motors wired up and intend to use it as a type of light emitting device to a dartboard or other target.
I wonder if someone would advise me on getting the smallest light dot and if a focusable Laser would take care of that. The distance to the target would depend on the smoothness of the geared 12v motors (I think)
I appreciate any advice....colum

I know these Lasers can be dangerous

Sorry, I am missing what you are trying to do.
For a visual indication a laser pointer might do? they seem to have reasonably small, collimated, dots. Why green?

The more function you want from a laser the more you have to pay.

As per @Nanren888 most cheap 'pen type' lasers already available have spot diameters in the millimeter range and would suffice for aiming at a dartboard with no problems at all.

Your ability to aim it will depend on the range as the accuracy of pointing increases as the range does - you'd be looking at micro-stepping (stepper motors) to get such accuracy. A 'chain driven' mechanism sounds like its far too coarse..... but pictures would help to make that determination.

Why Green? I heard that Green is more visible and smaller dot size at longer distance and its now less dangerous with a IR filter and I agree that a DC motor driven chain pointer seems inaccurate but that will be part of the challenge so I will adjust the target size and rely on a time element for difficulty
This pointer had a large ink marker at the tip and alot of positioning LEDs and switches so it may be smooth enough
I appreciate any advice on getting a Green Laser with built in IR filter for safety the focusing may not be necessary
Thanks....colum