Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Got Back From Around the Horn of South America Cruise

Returned from a shipboard cruise around the continent of South America including the Falkland Islands on Feb 28, 2020. Sorry I did not get back to this forum sooner. Ratch

davenn

Returned from a shipboard cruise around the continent of South America including the Falkland Islands on Feb 28, 2020. Sorry I did not get back to this forum sooner. Ratch

very cool, it that the trip that went down to the Antarctic Peninsula as well ?
Wife and I really want to do that one

Show us some pix please :)

Dave

Yes, we got flew out of Santiago, Chile on a 9 hour flight to Atlanta, Georgia, just as reports of single outbreaks in Rio, d J. and Chile were coming in. Talk about timing.

Having trouble uploading picture files. I reported the trouble, so awaiting possible solution.
Ratch

Yikes, that must be the problem. All of my jpeg pics are over 2 megs, and some are up to 4 megs. What to do?

On the other hand that cannot be the problem because I was able to send 3 megabyte files about the Utah National Park 3 years ago.
Ratch

Last edited:

davenn

Yikes, that must be the problem. All of my jpeg pics are over 2 megs, and some are up to 4 megs. What to do?

On the other hand that cannot be the problem because I was able to send 3 megabyte files about the Utah National Park 3 years ago.
Ratch

resize them and compress kb size
I use Irfanview for many years …. it's free

resize them to a max of 1000 pixels on the long side and when "saving as" use 85% compression

resizing

test 1.jpg

saving …. note the 85 setting on the slider bar in the top right

test 2.jpg

ohhh and make sure they are xxx.jpg not a raw or other file type

Dave

OK, that did the trick. But do I have to go through that rigamarole for every file I want to post? I never had to do that before when I posted large files. What changed? Is there a way to batch process the files somehow?
Ratch

davenn

OK, that did the trick. But do I have to go through that rigamarole for every file I want to post? I never had to do that before when I posted large files. What changed? Is there a way to batch process the files somehow?
Ratch

as Harald said ... the limit has always been there
tho it will accept uploads a bit bigger than 100kb .... up to around 300kb ... think of the poor people that run the forum ( and other forums)
that have to pay for the storage space required for huge and unneeded files sizes

You shouldn't be posting 2Mb ++ files / and unresized anywhere online unless it's to someone that wants an original for editing on your behalf :)

it only takes a few minutes to edit half a dozen files before uploading them
I will usually label the saved edited files with a sm (small) at the end of the filename, so that they don't overwrite the original file

eg southamerica1sm.jpg , southamerica2sm.jpg , southamerica3sm.jpg etc ( or whatever you want to name each file)

Installed Faststone. Seems like a nice program, but I still cannot select more than one file at a time. Tried Ctrl-A , Shift move, and everything else to no avail. I seem to be missing something simple. I am doing this in the "Edit" menu.
Ratch

Harald Kapp

This is how it looks for me:
Selection:
faststone_1.png

Press Add for selected or Add All for all pictures, then they are to the right in the input list:
faststone_2.png

Set options under "Advanced options", then press "Convert". Voilá.

OK, going to the "Tools" menu for the Batch processing did the trick. I will start a new thread to avoid the clutter.
Ratch