Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Generator & Battery in Parallel

I am thinking to connect Lithium Battery & DC generator in parallel to drive the motor.
For e.g Lithium battery rating is 48v 20 ah with 1c discharge rating.
If my motor needs 10 ampere, I want 40% & 60% load sharing between Battery & Generator. 4 amps from Battery & 6 amps from Generator.
I know when Generator ramps up it will bypass the battery voltage which will cause difference & generator will try to charge the battery as well as drive the motor at the same time.

But since I don't want to charge the battery anytime what circuit I should use ?
Is this possible to avoid charging battery & split the load ??

What I understood up till now that in order to connect any two source in parallel we need voltage to be same irrespective of Ah, then both the source will be fully discharge at same time otherwise Current will from high voltage to low voltage which will try to equalize.

Please guide me if we need to match the voltage of battery then what should be done since battery voltage will change instantly under load & generator can't ramp up high in seconds to match the voltage.

You could connect the battery via a power diode to the motor. The higher of the generator voltage and the battery voltage (less the voltage drop across the diode) will determine the voltage applied to the motor.
Welcome to EP!

bertus

Hello,

I would take care that the lithium battery is treated the right way.
There are special measures needed for charging the battery.
If not correctly treated, the battery may overheat and even explode.

Bertus

Yes, it does rather sound like the common "hey, I just invented a perpetual-motion, over-unity motor-generator device". :rolleyes:
Of course you need a battery to get it started.