Maker Pro
Maker Pro

First project ever... Rasberry Pi alarm clock! (book... future file server... thing)

I drew inspiration from this and this. An alarm clock disguised as a book with an LED display (which will illuminate the spine of the book sleeve, like in the second inspiration link), speakers, snooze and off buttons, and the ability to set an alarm.

It's nothing fancy and definitely overkill, but everyone has to start somewhere! Future plans for expanding this project include: having the option to synch alarms with an android device and having the alarm clock double as a file server. (And, eventually home automation, when I am not living with roommates and have my own kitchen.)

LasIoaD.jpg

Last edited:
I've done a lot of research lately and I have my second draft of the circuit!
Looks like I totally underestimated how many pins I would need for the LED display. :p
I've also bought a few things since my last post. The buying stage is the hardest part for me.

I got the TP-Link TL-WN725N version 2 Wi-Fi dongle from Frys (it should be compatible with the RPi, I checked!), and a small micro usb wall plug and a neat looking switch (for turning on and off the alarm) from a local electronics flea market.
I also bought the RPi from ebay. I was going to buy from the official supplier that the RPi website links to, but after seeing "pending" shipping, tax, and handling charges which couldn't be processed until after the order is placed, and reading about several people being charged upwards to $112 for shipping, I decided to order from somewhere else instead. The RPi should arrive in a few days. Hopefully I can round up the rest of the supplies soon too!

Here's the new circuit design:
OBMQ01W.jpg

And, my new and improved to-buy list, along with the things I have already bought for the project:
hFNDFnm.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed that the list says BJT transistor, but I decided after the fact to go with a FET instead. Whoops!