Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ESD Protection - Design Consideratons

Hi guys,

I've found some of the following information very useful for those interested in design. ESD is quickly becoming an important aspect of hardware design, as integrated devices are manufactured smaller and are increasingly sensitive to static discharge.

The article is easily read and understood for those studying electronics (Inc myself)

-Considerations when designing System-Level ESD Protection.

-Device-Level ESD Protection is briefly discussed.

If anyone has any other useful information please share

Thanks,
Ash

Attachments

• ESD Considerations.pdf
    381.8 KB · Views: 56

Harald Kapp

ESD is quickly becoming an important aspect of hardware design
This statement was valid years ago. Today it reads "ESD has long become an important aspect of hardware design".

Nevertheless you are right in noting that consideration of ESD effects is important.

The article you attached deals with ESD protection of electronic systems by e.g. using TVS diodes to reduce ESD discharges to tolerable levels.
Note that another face of ESD is while handling and assembling components and PCBs. It is advised to prevent ESD discharges during these stages of manufacturing by using proper ESD protection (grounded wrist-strips, anti-static bags and mats on your workplace etc.), avoid static-creating clothes (don't wear synthetics, use cotton) etc.

Of course, although the development of ESD really is becoming more important due to increasingly developed IC's.

The article does discuss "Device-Level ESD protection" and three device models: human-body model (HBM), machine model (MM) and the charged-device model (CDM). Which includes controlled manufacture environments and human handling as you said.

At my workplace we strictly use ESD straps, anti-static bags etc.. when working with our electronic hardware. I'm currently looking at the design aspects of System-Level ESD Protection, which includes using TVS diodes.

Is there any other methods to design System-Level ESD protection other than TVS diodes?

Of course, although the development of ESD really is becoming more important due to increasingly developed IC's.

Again, you're off by over 50 years. A giant leap in ESD awareness happened with the first solid state devices and products, and became a critical part of device handling and circuit design with the introductions of, first, insulated gate FETs (50s), and second, CMOS (60s). In fact, it is arguable that devices back then were more prone to ESD damage because they did not have the built-in protections that many devices have today.

ak

That part is obvious, can someone simply provide some sources for esd protective circuit designs.

There are many circuits online, but I'm looking for a good in depth read.