Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic distance measurement

Hi , I'm seeking some help with a project and need to measure distances of up to 100m
by some electronic means. A complication is that the medium needs to be outside the visable spectrum. I think that rules out lasers unless anyone knows otherwise.
IR and ultrasound are too short ranged so I think I'm left with just the RADAR option. I've googled for hours looking for a spot device but failed.
For my project to become viable, multiple distance sensors would be in use simultaneously, thus there is a further requirement that the RF signal is discrete to each device.
Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome.

Peter S.

Hi Resquiline, thanks for the response. I think I'd rather see what's available, if anything, before talking about accuracy. I could probably live with whatever the industry decided was appropriate for such a thing by just using their number in my spec if the project takes off. I'm more interested in your comment about police speed traps. You use 'laser' and 'IR' in the same sentence; are you saying that IR lasers exist? When I googled for info on this I found nothing and deduced that all lasers operated in the visable spectrum. There are plenty of laser distance measurement devices out there that work in my distance range but all the ones I saw operated in the visable spectrum. The police speed monitors I looked at worked at RF and relied upon the doplar effect rather than distance/time for the speed calculation. Any further info on this would be most helpful. Thanks again.

Peter S.

davenn

You use 'laser' and 'IR' in the same sentence; are you saying that IR lasers exist? When I googled for info on this I found nothing and deduced that all lasers operated in the visable spectrum. Thanks again.

Peter S.

there are many many different wavelength lasers, some visible some not. As Resqueline said, police ones are infrared, else everytime I drive towards one that is pointed at me, I would see the laser :)

why cant you use a visible light one ?

Dave

Last edited:
using radar for distance measuring is kind of tough thing to do. Unless you buy the radar which is then not your project. If you would be able to build one you would all ready know about drawbacks of other things and basics of lasers and so on. I thing laser is best option. Laser or some GPS module.

RF building and designing needs good oscilloscope and radar building needs even better one. + all the other eq.

Hi Dave, many thanks for that. The technology I seek is LIDAR and, as you say, there are products out there operating outside the visable range. All new to me but some interesting project developmental ideas now seem more realistic. Thanks again for pointing me in the correct direction!

Peter

davenn

Hi Dave, many thanks for that. The technology I seek is LIDAR and, as you say, there are products out there operating outside the visable range. All new to me but some interesting project developmental ideas now seem more realistic. Thanks again for pointing me in the correct direction!
Peter

cool mate

will be interested to hear from you down the line to see how your project goes :)
have fun experimenting

Dave