Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric load controller high voltage capacitor

Hi guys,

We're going to install an electric load controller (ELC) for a turbine in a small village in Peru. The goal of this ELC is to balance the power consumption in an isolated grid powered by the turbine. The ELC should be able to dissipate 5kW maximum. We would use an IGBT for pulse width modulation steering of our dumpload (R4). This ELC has of course a high power circuit (5kW). You can see it below.
upload_2016-3-12_18-12-0.png
C7 needs to be a capacitor with a voltage rating of 400V and 10µF capacity. The IGBT will switch on and off at a max frequency of 10kHZ. The problem is that i can't find immediatly a good capacitor for this job.

Does anyone have ideas?

I was thinking about this one: https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/electric-load-controller-high-voltage-capacitor.277964/ but i'm not sure that he will survive the high frequencies

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

This capacitor looks o.k., although I recommend using a 400V type.
The impedance of 10µF at 50Hz is ~320Ω. At 220V (RMS) I'd expect a current of ~1A peak, unless you have a resonance with inductor L3.

A minor fluctuation in voltage can cause an electronic equipment to malfunction or break down. To avoid this, servo voltage stabilizer have been invented which maintain accurate output and save expensive electrical appliances from damage caused by power alterations at homes, offices, cement plants, flour mills, engineering units, and various other places.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
It would seem logical that high current would occur when the IGBT turns on. This is going to require an extremely low ESR cap. The problem here is most AC caps designed for AC motor application are actually 2 electrolytic caps wired in series +[ ]- -[ ]+ or -[ ]++[ ]- . As far as I know they're not particularly low ESR.

Chris

CDRIVE

Question: Why do you need such a relatively large cap across the AC Mains?

Chris

Harald Kapp

A kind of PFC / low pass filter so the harmonics from the PWM modulated load are not visisble on the mains?

Here's my sim for the cap current when the IGBT (I cheated with a FET) is switched at 10kHz 5% duty cycle. RMS current is nearly 6A, with >30A peaks.
CapCurrent.PNG

CDRIVE

Harald, thanks for the explanation.
Alec, thanks for the sim but I'm not surprised at the results. That 10uF cap is going to be working its ba!!s off! :eek:

Chris