Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ECM - Jeep computer - help IDing the motherboard please.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

Unfortunately I don't know what an GA Tech EE Major is..... without information to the contrary we have to assume 'worst case' when answering questions. As stated, 'no insult intended' was meant to absolve me of blame....:p

That 'steep learning curve' I mentioned is illustrated in the subsequent (and very useful) link from @NMNeil that followed my post but my definition of steep rather depends on the individual - does a GA Tech EE Major qualification make that paper an hours casual browsing or a weekend of hectic looking up of references? Either way, if you can handle that paper you're 1/100th the way towards making your own ECM.

Got to agree that the hacking crowd can show some remarkable thinking and application when it comes to such stuff - the world is getting to be a very exciting place for innovation.

But back to your first post...... any way you can do a 'serious' cleaning job on the board? The pre-mentioned use of acetone perhaps? A hi-def image of a CLEAN board will still give you an insight to the functionality and identification of individual chip devices often results in links to useful datasheets to further expand the understanding of the circuits used.

NMNeil, WOW, what a cool ass document - I think you have sufficiently put me in my place on lack of knowledge - AND, I was just looking at the table of contents....

Seriously, I'll read this over the long weekend - thank you!

Patrick

Patrick, it was never my intent to 'put you in your place'. I'm a retired auto mechanic and cop who used to fix electronics by banging in a few nails, such was my lack of knowledge. I now, after learning a little, use screws.
I'm still reading through the document I linked, which for me asked more questions than it answered, such as PIC, ARM or Atmel uC, assembler or C which lead to my reading all about programming and the inner workings of uC's.
For me it was like building a house and starting with the roof. Takes a while to learn that you need a foundation, which I'm still working on.

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

Unfortunately I don't know what an GA Tech EE Major is..... without information to the contrary we have to assume 'worst case' when answering questions. As stated, 'no insult intended' was meant to absolve me of blame....:p

That 'steep learning curve' I mentioned is illustrated in the subsequent (and very useful) link from @NMNeil that followed my post but my definition of steep rather depends on the individual - does a GA Tech EE Major qualification make that paper an hours casual browsing or a weekend of hectic looking up of references? Either way, if you can handle that paper you're 1/100th the way towards making your own ECM.

Got to agree that the hacking crowd can show some remarkable thinking and application when it comes to such stuff - the world is getting to be a very exciting place for innovation.

But back to your first post...... any way you can do a 'serious' cleaning job on the board? The pre-mentioned use of acetone perhaps? A hi-def image of a CLEAN board will still give you an insight to the functionality and identification of individual chip devices often results in links to useful datasheets to further expand the understanding of the circuits used.

- Georgia Technical Institute
- Double EE = any super nerd getting two Engineering degrees at the same time - i.e. - Electrical and Mechanical
- Very old and insulting joke - what do you call a pretty pretty girl on the GaTech campus - a visitor.

My mother always told to date the tallest, smartest girls and the rest will simply come - I hate her but she was right (this time)

Hope that clears things right up.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll get back to my reading.....

Patrick

Patrick, it was never my intent to 'put you in your place'. I'm a retired auto mechanic and cop who used to fix electronics by banging in a few nails, such was my lack of knowledge. I now, after learning a little, use screws.
I'm still reading through the document I linked, which for me asked more questions than it answered, such as PIC, ARM or Atmel uC, assembler or C which lead to my reading all about programming and the inner workings of uC's.
For me it was like building a house and starting with the roof. Takes a while to learn that you need a foundation, which I'm still working on.

Seriously, I took it exactly as you intended it - no harm, no foul.

I'm still trying to just touch on the basics of the document you sent. It's not lite reading and, like everything else, once you pick it up you have to go back and forth to you browser to fall farther and farther down a rabbits hole.

I'm like you - step one, beat it to death and see what the little parts look like afterwards.

Sorta' a crucible method.

I think the chip maker recommended on the last page is most interesting. (can't flip back to that page without loosing what I've just typed and really want to get some lunch...)

- Patrick

Okay NMNeil - finished Design of Electronic Control Unit (ECU) for Automobiles - Electronic Engine Management system

Yes, hardcore stuff.

Not as bad as i thought - surprisingly.

I think one of the best parts of the report were it's liberal use of documenting older methods vs various new ways that are in use today or proposed for next-GEN.

Regardless if I understood half of it or all of it, this is a GREAT resources for anybody that wants to build, talk about, understand how an internal combustion engine is controlled. (spoiler alert: it's not controlled by you foot mashing on a peddle)

Again, thank you so much for sending that my way!

~Patrick

In my search for information on a possible CDI unit for my tractor I found this site.
12 million publications, all in the public domain (no copyright issues) and covering everything from patents, NASA research papers and even very old electronics magazines.
Absolutely invaluable and available to download in PDF and many other formats all for free.
https://archive.org/details/texts

Interesting documents about Jeep ECM. My uncle and I had a few Jeep project and we usually think these ECM's are made tough. Last one was this Wrangler we lifted with 33" tires and ultra wheels. The owner plans for a new tune and new exhaust system for it.

Hello All,

Totally new here.

If I could ask, could someone provide me with what each of these things is on this 1994 Jeep ECM (Engine Control Module)?

Thanks,
Patrick

20171005_142145_rotated.jpg
For one thing it's a b.c.m. replace crank sensor try to find a orig.o.e.m that still works after market units may not work

Hello All,

Totally new here.

If I could ask, could someone provide me with what each of these things is on this 1994 Jeep ECM (Engine Control Module)?

Thanks,
Patrick

20171005_142145_rotated.jpg
For one thing it's a b. C.m. replace crank sensor try to find a orig o.e.m.unit that is still good after market units may not work