Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Differences between two diodes?

Hiyo! First time posting on these forums, I'm a newbie with some experience, but I've run into a problem.

On an amp that I'm repairing, there's a diode that's been cracked with the number ST4148 on it. I can find it from Chinese hubs just fine like Shenzen, but I'm a US customer and I only need a few (two, to be exact).

I was wondering if it is interchangeable with the diode 1N4148? What is weird is that Alibaba lists ST4148 as a zener diode while 1n4148 is a switching diode. I couldn't find any information on what is different about ST4148 as I thought the first letters or numbers to the diode, 4148, were just manufactures? Like PH4148 or T4148.

Can anyone help me with this? Or help me find a diode that would work in the place of ST4148 that I can order in the US cheaply?

Harald Kapp

Welcome to EP.
1N4148 has been on the market for many years. The "4148" is almost a generic name. Some vendors even offer ST4148 where you find 1N4148 in the detailed description.
I would not hesitate to use a 1n4148 as replacement for ST4148.

The decription of the ST4148 as a zener diode is obviously wrong. When you look into the details (on alibaba's website) it states zener diode (wrong) but max. reverse voltage 75 V (right) which incidentally is the reverse voltage of a 1N4148 :)

Last edited:
Ah, alright. Well thank you. I didn't want to risk accidentally blowing up something so I thought I would check in first.

Thank you for all of your help. I'll be ordering the diode.