Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Device to measure total run time of an electronic instrument

I'm looking for a solution (preferably a readymade device or circuit) which I can attach with the power socket of my washing machine (for example) to know how many hours it was kept running for that day or since the last time the timer was reset.. Just like one can check the miles driven in a car.

Further usability could be expected such as when the machine is switched on, it's clock resumes and keeps running until machine is switched off. The device would probably be requiring its separate power source too (or maybe some inbuilt battery) to remember the last duration from where it resumes.

If I'm at the wrong place to ask this question, please suggest and migrate it to correct place.

Thank you.

While I am not sure of anything made that you can just plug in and it counts when current is flowing, however if you have access to the schematic you should be able to add an hour meter to a point in the wiring that has power when switched on it would count and it would not when switched off.

Not an easy answer. You need to connect to somewhere in the system where the power is actually 'used' - simply measuring when it is 'on' isn't an indication of it actually working.

You can get watt-hour meters that will measure the total power consumed over a period of time and if you have an average value for the actual power consumption (in use) you simply divide one into the other to get the hours-run.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
I'm looking for a solution (preferably a readymade device or circuit) which I can attach with the power socket of my washing machine ...
Yes, you could very well be in the wrong place. Electronics Point is a community for members to discuss, advise and debate electronics related topics. It is also mainly a do-it-yourself (DIY) hobbyist forum... not a solution search-engine set up for the convenience of drive-by problem posters, such as yourself apparently, who contribute nothing but nevertheless want quick answers.

Suggest you learn to use Google or some other search engine to find a "readymade device or circuit" if you don't want to "dirty your hands" by actually building something. There are numerous inexpensive DIY solutions to your "problem" and some are even available "off-the-shelf" (OTS) for commercial purchase. Whether these OTS products will satisfy your requirements only you can determine. Suggest you start looking starting here. Or maybe here if you want to build something yourself (we can help with that).