Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Design approach for LED lighting assembly

I have the below mentioned specifications ;will be glad to receive help and suggestions in the design approach for LED light assembly
The specifications :
1. Power Supply: Nominal 20 VDC (18V to 32 VDC)
2. Light source: High power LEDs
3. Max Power rating: 21 W
4. Flash Rate: 40 per minute
5. Flash Energy: 30 Joules
6. Output Colour: White
7. Current Consumption: 3.6 A, max
8. Dimensions: a) Diameter: 6 inch
b) Height: 4.5 inch

9. Field of Coverage: Horizontal - 360 degree
Vertical - Not less than 30 degree above or below Horizontal plane

I have the below mentioned specifications ;will be glad to receive help and suggestions in the design approach for LED light assembly
The specifications :
1. Power Supply: Nominal 20 VDC (18V to 32 VDC)
2. Light source: High power LEDs
3. Max Power rating: 21 W
4. Flash Rate: 40 per minute
5. Flash Energy: 30 Joules
6. Output Colour: White
7. Current Consumption: 3.6 A, max
8. Dimensions: a) Diameter: 6 inch
b) Height: 4.5 inch

9. Field of Coverage: Horizontal - 360 degree
Vertical - Not less than 30 degree above or below Horizontal plane
Sounds like you want someone to design the whole thing for you based on your requirements.
If you have a 20VDC power supply that consumes 3.6A max, how is the max power rating lower than 72W ?

What kind of LEDs do you plan to use? (Do you have a product sheet?)
Are you relying on the LEDs to determine the field coverage or will you be using a lens?
How did you determine flash energy without any LED specifications?
Will this be powered from mains, or a battery pack?
Is the flash rate adjustable?
Do you have any experience with higher power LEDs?
Do you have a desired amount of LEDs you would like to use?

Sounds like you want someone to design the whole thing for you based on your requirements.
If you have a 20VDC power supply that consumes 3.6A max, how is the max power rating lower than 72W ?

What kind of LEDs do you plan to use? (Do you have a product sheet?)
Are you relying on the LEDs to determine the field coverage or will you be using a lens?
How did you determine flash energy without any LED specifications?
Will this be powered from mains, or a battery pack?
Is the flash rate adjustable?
Do you have any experience with higher power LEDs?
Do you have a desired amount of LEDs you would like to use?
Well,i have no experience with LED systems.I just want to know how to go about with the "conventional" design approach,so was looking for guidance in that area.
The source of power is a battery pack,and yes,the LEDs alone shall determine the field coverage,not using lens.
The flash rate of course is adjustable and i intend to use white light LED s.Flash energy can be determined by PWM approach,if i'm not wrong.

Start with the array of LEDs and their heat sinks. You specified a flash rate but not a flash duration but that can be inferred from the flash energy. After you have LEDs capable of the energy and field of view you need, design the driver, staying within the source limitations. Those are the basic steps.

PWM is generally used to create a dimming effect from an otherwise too powerful light source. I see no application for that here. This seems to be a simple strobe where the LEDs, if chosen and arrayed correctly, would be driven astably at 100% power.

Last edited: