Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dell laptop charger output voltage fluctuates from 16.9 V to 19V

My Dell latitude laptop battery charger output voltage is fluctuating from 16.9V to 19.2V. My laptop was not charging. When I showed to technician he told power IC is damaged. He replaced IC. Now after repair I am in a fix whether to connect charger to laptop or not due to output voltage fluctuation. Whether this is normal or should I change charger? Can somebody help and suggest?

I'd ask someone in a Dell forum to measure theirs to see if it exhibits the same behavior, if there is not already a topic about it there.

I measured voltage in another good Dell laptop charger where voltage fluctuates from 19.1V to 19.5V but not went below 19V. I am not connecting my laptop charger to my laptop in a fear that again my laptop power IC may go bad. If somebody can help and confirms voltage fluctuation from 16.9V to 19.2V is normal, it will help.

I am not sure that you can measure the transformer output voltage properly without a load on it , try to connect a load somehow to it , maybe wrap a wire around the outsider of the connector and just hold a paper clip or something to the inside bore of the connector and join them to a load of around 0.5A , then measure while the load is on it ! .