Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC motors and speed control

I bought a 120vac to 0-90vdc 400w motor speed controller from Amazon and I was wondering if there was anyway to modify it to get more amperage from it. It has a internal 8amp fuse. I posted a pic of the scr's and 3 diodes. Rest of the board is control with a small transformer and 2a full wave rectifier. Is the power of this unit limited to 400w because of the diodes because they are only good for 6a? The scr's are rated for 25amp. I know heat sink and trace size also needs to be rated correctly as well. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20210225_170339.jpg
    IMG_20210225_170339.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 5
I bought a 120vac to 0-90vdc 400w motor speed controller from Amazon and I was wondering if there was anyway to modify it to get more amperage from it. It has a internal 8amp fuse. I posted a pic of the scr's and 3 diodes. Rest of the board is control with a small transformer and 2a full wave rectifier. Is the power of this unit limited to 400w because of the diodes because they are only good for 6a? The scr's are rated for 25amp. I know heat sink and trace size also needs to be rated correctly as well. Any suggestions?

400w/90v approx 4.5A.
If you need bigger, buy a bigger unit, best way.

I guess... this one was just 45 bucks and fast shipping. Just kinda wanted to know why it's only 400w when the components are rated higher. I'm going to be using it on a 1/2hp 90v motor so it will be pushing its limits. Then again the motor is geared and shouldnt be to much of a load I Hope.
Thanks

this one was just 45 bucks and fast shipping. Just kinda wanted to know why it's only 400w when the components are rated higher. I'm going to be using it on a 1/2hp 90v motor so it will be pushing its limits.
Well, It's only 400w because.. it's just $45.:D

Horsepower is not inherent in the motor, it is developed by loading on the motor.
If you haven't much of a load then there is no problem. I would use the 400w drive and limit its output current with something like a MDL-6 fuse for protection.

You might have 25 amp SCRs and such, but that kind of rating sometimes requires a generous heat sink, normally missing in the compact Chinese gear.