Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Damaged plasma screen anti glare coating removal.

I managed to get my hands on a really nice 42 inch LG plasma screen tv at a yard sale for $25. It has a pretty big patch of missing anti-glare coating right in the middle of the screen, but other than that it's in excellent condition. You can only slightly see it when it's on, but when it's off it looks terrible. I am thinking the best route is just to remove all of the a/r coating so that the screen and picture are at least uniform.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on the best way to go about this?

Thanks.

(I looked for other threads similar to my question but didn't see any, apologies if this is a double post.)

I am thinking the best route is just to remove all of the a/r coating
Hi Reignbow, sounds like a nice find, however different manufacturers use differant methods for anti glare. If you are VERY lucky it will be a film that you can peel very slowly off. But if you are in a nicely lit room, you will regret removing it.
Some manufacturers use a coating (not a film) And that is completely different and should not attempt to remove anymore. Probably why it was discarded.
Also, some have put their film on the inside of the glass. This can definitely be removed but with the same glare problems in a well lit room. This probably doesn't apply to your TV.
If you know it is a coating rather than a film, My advice would be try and live with it.
Martin.

Hi Reignbow, sounds like a nice find, however different manufacturers use differant methods for anti glare. If you are VERY lucky it will be a film that you can peel very slowly off. But if you are in a nicely lit room, you will regret removing it.
Some manufacturers use a coating (not a film) And that is completely different and should not attempt to remove anymore. Probably why it was discarded.
Also, some have put their film on the inside of the glass. This can definitely be removed but with the same glare problems in a well lit room. This probably doesn't apply to your TV.
If you know it is a coating rather than a film, My advice would be try and live with it.
Martin.

my panasonic viera 50 inch plasma had a defective main exterior viewing screen ( not the internal plasma screen its a separate thing ) the exterior screen would not clean, and the tv was really scrap without having a clean main screen.. so.. i went to a double glazing company, and had an exact size replacement made in quality anti shatter glass, with a proprietary anti glare coating. that was over ten years ago.. getting to the screen itself, requires an essential thing.. a clean room, free of floating dust particles,. i did mine in the room the tv is in.. and covered the floor in dust preventing sheeting.. i made a platform to lay the tv on - screen down, and its really just a case of removing the screws that hold the whole assembly together, a time taking thing.. to reach the main screen.. i recommend two people are needed to manage the tv component chassis and plasma screen assembly, and that they wear anti dust and particle clothing, a cheap all over overall like forensic folks wear is ideal, and quality seal hand gloves.. this is because , after over ten years of trouble free use, my glass replacement , though without fault in all that time, has a few specs that have grown on the inside of the glass, sub millimeter size, - i think they are mouth moisture , ie, breath marks on the glass surface when i replaced the defective screen all those years ago.. the tv itself is now maybe 12 or 13 years old and has never broken down and despite my disassembly and reassembly , continues to operate perfectly and fault free. i now consider taking it apart again (2020 ) to see if i can remove the spots on the glass inside with very careful use of pure alcohol. given that ive already replaced the main viewing screen once, i think its worth a try... . i post to show that plasma tv viewing screens are replaceable with ordinary good quality glass. , given its age now, the tv owes me nothing. its been an excellent thing, and still is... its viera functions and connectivity are still fully compatible with current viera components like the new dvd recorder ive just bought.. which has netflix and freeview. and i player incorporated... the remote for that works the tv too.. if anyone needs help in replacing the panasonic TX-P50G10B main viewing screen, when i do it again in 2020, i am going to make a picture description of the disassembly.. the only thing i needed to change a little is the contrast, because the antiglare coating the glass company used is not as dark as the original.. if one was to use plain glass that effect would be more apparent... plasma tv`s are very bright., i can say though - its so easy to clean the external glass, in comparison to the original screen.. its been a joy.

Last edited: