Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Curious inductor question

Inductors present a higher resistance to higher frequencies.

I'm sending a sine wave through an inductor measuring input and output. Strangely the voltage at the output increases with frequency rather than get smaller. The key for this to work is with no load. Even a 30K resistor will stop this effect.

Years ago I heard about the Ferranti effect with long transmission lines at no or minimal load. Does this apply here too or is there something different going on?

Attachments

• ferranti.png
    ferranti.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 83
You cannot get a pure inductor, it will always include capacitance due to the adjacent turns. This results in a tuned circuit which will resonate at some frequency. A 30k resistor may well damp this resonance so that the effect you see is eliminated. Wave winding can be used to reduce the capacitance of RF coils.

Care has to be employed when designing power supplies that what is intended to be a low pass filter does not raise certain frequencies due to non ideal components.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
,,, I'm sending a sine wave through an inductor measuring input and output. Strangely the voltage at the output increases with frequency rather than get smaller. The key for this to work is with no load. Even a 30K resistor will stop this effect. ...
No load? How do you know the output increases with frequency? If measuring the output with an oscilloscope there is still a load, usually about one megohm shunted with twelve picofarads or so of capacitance. This will form a resonant circuit with your inductor. More information, please, before wandering off into Ferranti Effect Land, which is mainly a concern for power transmission over long distances. Did you have a few kilometers of coax cable attached to your inductor and measured at the far end of the cable?

Inductors present a higher resistance to higher frequencies.

I'm sending a sine wave through an inductor measuring input and output. Strangely the voltage at the output increases with frequency rather than get smaller. The key for this to work is with no load. Even a 30K resistor will stop this effect.

Years ago I heard about the Ferranti effect with long transmission lines at no or minimal load. Does this apply here too or is there something different going on?
No, inductors present a higher reactance to higher frequencies. Reactance and resistance are two different phenomena.

Ratch