Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Converting decimal LAT/LON to NMEA format

Hi,

I need a program in preferably 'Oshonsoft PIC basic' or 'Excel' or another basic program, that will convert a decimal LAT/LON from 'say' Google maps to the NMEA format.

E,g, ?????.?????
?????.?????

$GPGGA,123456,?????.?????,N,?????.?????,W,1,04,1.80,100.0,M,47.7,M,,*7F?

I'm happy to cut and paste the result into the NMEA sentence.

Is there anyone who can help please?

Camerart.

lol. Cut and paste. You can connect PICs UART to a gps module and keep collecting ASCII buffers on RX line and convert it to decimal LAT/LON. Look into microchip MLA, you might find some examples.

lol. Cut and paste. You can connect PICs UART to a gps module and keep collecting ASCII buffers on RX line and convert it to decimal LAT/LON. Look into microchip MLA, you might find some examples.

Hi A,

You may have got the wrong idea! I need to 'make' some test NMEA sentences, from map references. When I say Cut and paste, I mean find result needed for NMEA from a calculation,and cut and paste it into the NMEA relevant slot.

C.

@camerart sorry I did not mean to laugh at you. I dont know what I was thinking.

Try this link and hope it is helpful.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-maps-api/xvDGvIidKQc

Hi A,
Not to worry, it happens all of the time:)

I scanned your link and I think it shows variations of looking up using google, but I wanted an equation. Whether on your link or another I found an equation written in 'C', which mentions FLOOR, that I had never heard of and I can't read 'C'. Then I was experimenting in excel and came across FLOOR in the maths functions. I got the equation working and here it is: Change .txt to xls

C.

Attachments

• Decimal degrees to NMEA DEG MIN DECIMAL.txt
    17 KB · Views: 77