Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Converting a remote control from Battery power to DC

Hi everyone,

Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong section and I will try to get it moved!
I have a remote control that runs on a single 12 volt (23amps) battery that I would like to convert into a physical switch that I can mount on my desk. I have been trying to find 12 volt DC power adapters that I can plug into the wall and then plug into a port that I wire up to the battery ports but I can't seem to find one that I know will work.

Am I going about this the right way? Do you know what I should do?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Hi everyone,

Please let me know if I posted this in the wrong section and I will try to get it moved!
I have a remote control that runs on a single 12 volt (23amps) battery that I would like to convert into a physical switch that I can mount on my desk. I have been trying to find 12 volt DC power adapters that I can plug into the wall and then plug into a port that I wire up to the battery ports but I can't seem to find one that I know will work.

Am I going about this the right way? Do you know what I should do?

Thanks, I really appreciate it!
You may have trouble finding a 12V source that can handle 23Amps ... depending on where you look at least.
The easiest method I am aware of would be using a desktop Power Supply.
They offer 12V outputs (They can vary in accuracy by a volt sometimes...) with a current capability of 25A +
Depending on the power supply the provided current can get quite high! (The power supply should say on the side, on a sticker, how much current it can provide to each of the power rails.)
If this is not a suitable solution for you, you may need to look into getting an AC-DC buck converter that converts mains to 12V... this may be more difficult to do, but keep us posted on what you want

You can get 12V battery chargers which can be set to output between 13.8V and 14.4V to float charge the battery. I presume that the battery has a capacity of 23Ah and can supply more than 23A for a short time and quite capable of starting a fire if you short it.

Please post a sketch of the circuit you are using.

Thanks for your responses, I have just realized that it actually is an A23 battery (not 23 amp battery) type that has a capacity of around 55 mAh.

I am not sure at all what you are trying to do.

The remote using a 12V battery has nothing to do with the power used by the device it is controlling. For instance, garage door openers often use remotes with those 12V A23 batteries, but control a motor that is run off the mains.

Are you trying to turn the remote on / off via a switch, or are you trying to supply power to the controlled device through a switch, bypassing the remote?

Bob

Hi Bob, i'm sorry I wasn't very clear. The remote controls an outlet right now, so it effectively turns off and on the current from one of the outlets into a light. So there is already power going to the device I'm controlling. I am basically wanting to make the remote into a desktop item that is powered through the main rather than batteries.

Does that make sense? :s

Hi Bob, i'm sorry I wasn't very clear. The remote controls an outlet right now, so it effectively turns off and on the current from one of the outlets into a light. So there is already power going to the device I'm controlling. I am basically wanting to make the remote into a desktop item that is powered through the main rather than batteries.

Does that make sense? :s
Yeah. You just need a 12V DC source to wire into where the battery connects.
You can use a small 12V AC-DC adaptor for this.

OK, I understand you now.

An easy way to replace the battery without modifying the remote unit would be to find a wood dowel of the same diameter as the battery, cut it to length and connect wires to small metal pads glued to the ends, then just put it place of the battery, minding that the polarity (+ -) is correct.

Bob

Great, thank you so much Bob and Gryd! I can't thank you enough.

Using a dowel is a good idea, I will see if I can find some this weekend.

OK, I understand you now.

An easy way to replace the battery without modifying the remote unit would be to find a wood dowel of the same diameter as the battery, cut it to length and connect wires to small metal pads glued to the ends, then just put it place of the battery, minding that the polarity (+ -) is correct.

Bob

Love it Bob!